Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does it annoy or worries you, if you find some small dents/ scratch on your guitar?

Depends upon the guitar.
    Sh*tter's full

Personally, I do not want any dings on any of my Guitars..........
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

It annoys me if one of my guitars DOESN'T have at least some scratches/dings. It means I haven't played it enough.

Nah, I just throw 'em away and get a new one.

Yeah, the first dent always hurts...

Normal wear and tear with no major damage or relic'd style. I don't have much preference for in between. Since I play PRS and haven't had a guitar sent to PTC I'm rocking all normal wear and tear and hope to keep it that way.
    Plank Owner

I like my guitars to be minty when I get them, but after that...I take excellent care of them, but they gain character over the years. Usually from my endless tinkering with them. ;p

I treat my gear the best I can. Scratch and dents just happens, no matter what. So, to me, is part of life

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    As others have said, it's an instrument, and it's meant to be played. Sure a ding or scratch can be annoying, but it's not worth worrying over.
    WHAT?! That's crazy talk!

I play the crap out of all of my guitars, but I am also very careful with them so most of mine still to this day remain without dings or scratches. That being said, several have them and I'm not worried about it in the slightest. They're meant to be played, not locked up in a glass case!
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by HighGain510 View Post

I play the crap out of all of my guitars, but I am also very careful with them so most of mine still to this day remain without dings or scratches. That being said, several have them and I'm not worried about it in the slightest. They're meant to be played, not locked up in a glass case!
    I completely understand! I keep mine as pristine as humanly possible, but heck, ya gotta play 'em or they're not serving their purpose.

And then there's the PTC if something happens that bothers ya...
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Banned
    They're meant to be played, not locked up in a glass case!
    Or, you can play them, while in your glass case, for protection. Here is a photo my wife took of me playing....

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    Or, you can play them, while in your glass case, for protection. Here is a photo my wife took of me playing....
    Playing air guitar in trademark hip hop stance doesn't count as playing.
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Ones that I am not sure I am keeping yes. Ones that I know i am going have for years, not so much. Of course I dont want a big mark on a killer quilt top that stands right out, but light scratches and dings here and there are going to happen no matter how careful you are. The top is going to get scratched just from picking and playing alone. Most of the marks I get on my guitars are from practicing using the computer and recording. You play, you reach over to hit record or rewind a section you are trying to learn and bang. Into the table or whatever. My first PS is 7 years old now and has all kinds of light marks all over it. At some point, its going to go to the PTC for a refin. the marks are not in noticable places though, so you have to look to find them, but boy are they there! All kinds of play time on that guitar, and its going to get a LOT more. That is exactly what i paid a premium price for. A guitar I would not want to put down.

Well, when I bought my John Connolly Custom Epi Les Paul I babied it. One night I was tired as hell and decided to change the strings. I inadvertently dropped the bridge and put a ding in the body. I was so pissed at myself for not waiting until the next day.

After the first ding...

I play the hell out of it!
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO

"......meant to be played."

So, does that mean that PRS probably wouldn't have sold a Dragon to a consumer if they knew it was for the sake of art or as an investment or whatever? Here we go again , but a guitar is meant to be whatever the guy shelling out the dough wants it to be. Not sure why anybody has the right to tell a buyer why he should be buying.

I'm a player and a collector, so I have guitars to be played (and will get some dings although I try to avoid them) and guitars to be collected. So, as I stated earlier, for me, it depends upon the guitar.
    Last edited by 11top; 03-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Sh*tter's full

Well that's certainly awkward...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Silly me................ This Doubleneck was under glass for several years

Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

It annoys me sometimes because i like to take care of my gear. But i accept the reality of using my tools.
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas}

There is one ding on my guitar, it appeared after being in for a setup, that annoys the hell out of me. The rest doesn't bother me at all. Especially on the back. It's part of me and when I am old I will pick it up and have a lot of memories

I will add that if I have a private stock or modern eagle as I dream of I know the first mark on it will break my heart. It won't stop me playing the hell out of it. I can't afford to be a collector, if I could I would have some kept mint