Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ancestry (Where are you really from...?)

I'm mostly Irish, English, Scottish on both sides. Most of my roots can be traced back to early colonial days. I did the Ancestry DNA test just to see what else might be left to discover. According to that I also have some Scandinavian and Southern European ancestry but I've net been able to trace back that far.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    Powered by Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Posts deleted. This is a discussion about geography, not theology

Going by my grandparent's surnames, I'm a Euro-mutt (Dutch, Irish, Italian, and German). I've traced back my family lineage back to the late 1800's but sadly couldn't get across the Atlantic.

England and Germany no French as far as anyone has ever been able to determine albeit 4 generations in Louisiana (South) you would think I'd have some Cajun blood somewhere. Still a Cajun no matter what the genealogy says.
    G

Hey, Italian all the way....both parents from the old country. But the area around Naples was supposedly settled by Spaniards and Bello is typically a Spanish name, so I probably have a some Latin Lover in me.

Chizzle: I have two boys natural birth and an adopted son from Korea who also likes his parents and brothers so much he thinks he's Italian-American. Great attitude!
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    I've been thinking about my family history a lot recently.

So what about you guys? Have any of you traced your family trees or thought about doing it?
    I've been curious about my roots a time or two in the past, but not to the point of actually trying to do the research on it. I don't have any family, and when my parents were alive they never talked about their own heritage.

About all I know is that my mom's dad was a cowboy in Texas. My dad's mom was a full-blood Cherokee from Oklahoma. So Texas/Cowgirl + Oklahoma/Cherokee = Me. When I was younger I had a horrible temper, and it was always a running (bad) joke in my family that I got the worst combination possible when it came to tempers; Cowboys and Indians.

I'd like to take the time and trace my roots someday. Mike, thanks for asking this question and getting me thinking...

Goldtop Lloyd, who is very calm and easy going today, especially when he has a guitar in his hands.
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

This is something I've spent quite a bit of time on. I've learned a lot but it really is like an unsolvable puzzle because you always want to know more. A great grand uncle of mine fought for 3 years in the civil war and then was killed at the battle of Atlanta on Sherman's march to the sea. A 9th great grandfather of mine settled in Massachusets around the year 1638. He and his wife were the first names on the petition to leave the church of Salem and start up the church of Salem Village which is where the many witch trials were held. He and several family members testified against the husband of a grandaughter for witchcraft and the poor guy hanged for it. That was on my paternal great grandmothers branch of the family. There were a couple members of that family branch who fought during the American revolution.

My last name is Swiss and I have a tree which traces us back to approximately 1540 in Monible, Switzerland. My ancesters generally came from Switzerland, Germany, England or Wales. A number of my Swiss ancestors married into Amish families which is kind of interesting. The Amish community is fairly large in this part Indiana.

I truly believe that what distinguishes this country from the rest is the diversity of our people....USA, USA, USA!
    Last edited by frankb56; 03-15-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    No idea really. I'm adopted. It's not high on my list of priorities. My [adoptive] parents are awesome, I've never had any desire to know anything more.
    That's my Mums view in regards to her situation. I confess i'm a little intrigued but I respect her wishes not to look into it.

Some good answers.. Seems a view of you have had success in researching your family tree. There's a few sites that I could use but having said that, I know my Uncle used one and had little luck so i'm a little reluctant to spend any money on these sites.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    That's my Mums view in regards to her situation. I confess i'm a little intrigued but I respect her wishes not to look into it.

Some good answers.. Seems a view of you have had success in researching your family tree. There's a few sites that I could use but having said that, I know my Uncle used one and had little luck so i'm a little reluctant to spend any money on these sites.
    Plenty of free info on the web so I've never had to pay. just start with your oldest known relative and type in the name and any other info you may have on that person, i.e. date of birth, home town, etc. You'd be surprised what you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by frankb56 View Post
    I truly believe that what distinguishes this country from the rest is the diversity of our people....USA, USA, USA!
    Indeed. You have a rich history with people settling from many parts of Europe and elsewhere. If the rumour of some Spanish ancestory in my family is true that's quite intriguing. There's more of a story there. For my Fathers Irish side it looks like not a lot went on, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Plenty of free info on the web so I've never had to pay. just start with your oldest known relative and type in the name and any other info you may have on that person, i.e. date of birth, home town, etc. You'd be surprised what you can find.
    Cheers Shawn. I'll have to do some more digging. Looks like you've had some success! I was able to find out about the origins of my surname from a quick search and it seems the info on that is good so i've got a few reference points to work from.

Mostly Irish from County Cork.

MY wife is very involved in genealogy and is at a conference in Washington, DC right now for week. She goes to about half a dozen conferences a year.
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Quote Originally Posted by frankb56 View Post
    Hey, Italian all the way....both parents from the old country. But the area around Naples was supposedly settled by Spaniards and Bello is typically a Spanish name, so I probably have a some Latin Lover in me.

Chizzle: I have two boys natural birth and an adopted son from Korea who also likes his parents and brothers so much he thinks he's Italian-American. Great attitude!
    Ha! Awesome!!!

My mom's family is Irish (and since most of the men in my family are tall, I can assume way back in time my great great great great great grandmother was probably taken by force by a raiding viking. And my dad's family is Spanish/Puerto Rican. That being said, my dad's mother had white blonde hair and ice blue eyes. Just last week on Living Social I got a deal for $40 to do a DNA mapping. I'll post up the results of what nationalities I actually turn out to be when I get them LOL

I have spent so much time on genealogy, it's not funny.

One line came from Hayling, Hampshire, and arrived in Maryland in 1815. Seems he was a bit of a rebel, and in a history of Hayling Island written in the 1920s, he was mentioned in a chapter about his family as having "gone missing" at the time of his immigration. to the US!

Another was indenture from Ireland, coming to Talbot Co, Maryland in 1674. He was used as an experiment/example of weather or not the Irish could farm without supervision! The author wrote in a book about the experiment that he was surprised, but showed that the Irish could not only farm, but were darn good at it! One from this line was the last living Revolutionary War vet in Maryland, and has a monument to him in a cemetery in Easton. Further, his son fought at the battle of Baltimore (Ft McHenry/Star Spangled Banner fame).

Another came here to Maryland from County Tyrone, Ireland in the 1840s to work in the coal mines outside of Cumberland, Maryland. His son became a fire Engineer in Washington, DC, and one of a handful of fiirefighters who took a train to Baltimore to help out during the great Baltimore fire of 1904.

Another came from Clare in 1860, and the moment he stepped off the boat in NY fell pray to the Union recuriters who made grand promises to the Irish immigrants if they enlisted for 3 years. He did. The US Civil War started a few months later. He was wounded at the battle of Gaines Mill, and lost a lot of use of his left arm. Because he was regular army, and not a volunteer, he did not receive a pension. Appealing to the then Secretary of War, General Tecumseh Sherman, Sherman himself went to congress and testified that he should receive a pension. Which he did.

My friends and family know better then to ask me about genealogy, because if they do... I don't shut up. I could keep going and going and going... but will spare ya'll.

DGT Club Vice President
    Most of the family is from Ireland, Scotland, and England. We also have a little Danish in there, as well.

I've been to my family's ancestral grounds in Scotland. Pretty cool stuff. The Irish left for America during the 1840s and set-up shop in Iowa. The Duncans went to Philidelphia. The Dane was a hockey coach for Marquette University and uncle James Ewell Brown Stuart fought in the Civil War...Mom's side had some gray and Dad's side wore blue.

mgd

DGTs

Mostly Irish (both kinds) from both sides but a smattering of English, Cherokee, Creek and French that we know of. One of my daughters won an essay contest in the Human Geography class she's taking and the prize is having her ancestry traced through DNA sampling. We're curious to see the results but because she's a she, they can only trace the maternal side. I'm thinking of sending in my own sample to have the other side traced.
    Last edited by Daniel; 03-25-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Dad's side...mostly Greek, ...mom's , mostly German...loooove the Greek food...

Scotland--Grandson did some checking and went back over 500 years

[ Never Forget ]
    2008 Fender Custom Strat
    2011 PRS SAS- NF
    2012 PRS artist Package Studio