Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever do any (amp) modeling?

One tip that might help all the people using the computer modeling... The interface will make a HUGE difference. I had a 'decent' Line 6 Toneport UX8. Good, solid unit, I liked amplitube through it. Switched out to an M-Box 3 Pro.... whoa. Even the basic models in amplitube sounded great! The Line 6 kinda genericized my guitars (Strat sounded like a Les Paul, etc). The new interface changed all that. Strat sounds quacky. PRSes have good mid range... etc... Plus, switching out my smallish 5" Monitor speakers for some higher end 8" speakers has really opened up the modeling sounds. The Slash Marshall models really sound good. Another trick is to treat the models like real amps. Putting a tube screamer in front of a mid gain amp will give you much better sounds than trying to find an amp and just cranking the @%$#@$ out of the preamp. One last thing for Amplitube is to use the room mics in the speaker cabinet tab. That definitely give the sound a bit of the 'amp in room' sound and really fills it out.
    - cyclops

Too many PRS to list in 5 lines...

Anyone using the Eleven Rack from the pro tools folks? I've really been considering that setup. For the price range it seems like a great deal, but I haven't been able to spend much time with one.

I've dabbled in modeling a bit. I had a Digitech multi-effects pedal with modeling years ago - it was not good at all. I tried an early Line 6 amp in a store, but it really didn't move me - it didn't feel like it moved any air. Very sterile.

More lately, I've used the modeling in the AdrenaLinn III. Amp modeling is not its primary purpose, and I can't speak as to how accurate the models are, but the cleans are pretty good - I'm not afraid to use those, especially if laying down a country-ish part. Until I got the two-channel C, it was my preferred and quickest way to get a good clean sound.

Now that I'm using ProTools, I've started using virtual instruments and just picked up Ampeg SVX as a way for recording bass. It requires AmpliTube 3 now (before it was standalone, I believe). As a result of that, I played with AmpliTube 3 a bit tonight, using just the free models (although I've seriously considered picking up their Orange collection since it was announced). I've only spend about 40 minutes playing with it, but it seems like modeling has come a long way since I first tried it. I was impressed with how much the Marshall model cleaned up with just the volume knob on the guitar. I have no idea how well the models sit in a mix.

As Les said, it really doesn't feel like playing a real amp. There's a certain feel that just isn't there. But if you can get beyond that, I would suspect that the modeled tracks are indistinguishable to the vast majority of listeners.

I've not had the chance to try the Axe FX or Eleven Rack. And I've gone back and forth on which one I'd like to try. But someday...

True story - about 25 years ago, as the small software company I was working for was struggling to survive, we were asked if anyone had any ideas for products to bring them up for discussion and possible development. I talked to one of the owners about my idea for what was basically a rough version of modeling - the idea being an amplifier that would sample a recording and a guitar, and generate output that matched the recording. I realize now that the processing power was just not there at that time. I also realize that the owner (and the guy he talked to about it) didn't know what they were talking about when they said there would be no interest in such a thing.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I had a pod pro for years and loved the versatility of it. It wasn't ideal but it was a good introduction to modelling.
    I use impulses and software all the time now for recording at home.
    I would buy a kemper or axe fx if I had the money but software is ideal for me

It was unimaginable from my point of view that with a desktop pc, some cheap software and a pod pro I could record late into the night at my parents house and show my friends something that sounded like music

I use JamUp pro and Amplitube on my iphone. also have an Axe-fx. As great as they both sound, I still love and need my tube amps.

I realized that I wasn't totally clear at the end of my screed. Like many others have said here, I still prefer my tube amps to the modeling. There are situations where I can get stuff done quicker using a model, and there are times I find a model to be perfectly appropriate (or adequate, to damn it with faint praise), but I usually go to the amp first.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    I like the Kemplers, have watched a few videos of them in the past.
    I take it you need the powered one to hook it up to your stack?
    Yes, you need the powered version if you want to use a traditional guitar cab with it.
    Or you can:
    -Use the powered version to run it through passive hi-fi (full range) speakers.
    -Get the un-powered version and use your own solid state or tube amp to power passive speakers or a guitar cab.
    -Use the un-powered version with active speakers.(the way I run mine)
    -Use the un-powered version through the effects return of your existing guitar amplifier, through your guitar cab.

I use mine through 2 Yamaha DXRs in stereo. When used through a guitar cab you lose most of the character between the various profiles and the sound is homogenized with the character of the cab you're running through.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

Just got the Axe-FX earlier this week. I messed around with it for a bit, and here's some tone tests and demos from tones I either made, got from the Axe-Change forum, or even took from the stock preset banks. So far, I'm a happy camper. It's definitely going to be my go to recording unit, and if not of the fact that I cherish my MESA amps, esp. for sentimental reasons, I may have even sold them straight away. lol

-John

Thanks for the info.
    If I ever got one, I would be running it through my Carvin 4x12 or the 2x12.

John's demo of it sounds excellent.

EDIT:
    Forgot, John is using the FX, not the Kempler.
    I was dazed and confused
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yes, you need the powered version if you want to use a traditional guitar cab with it.
    I use mine through 2 Yamaha DXRs in stereo. When used through a guitar cab you lose most of the character between the various profiles and the sound is homogenized with the character of the cab you're running through.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT:
    I was dazed and confused
    No problem. They are both incredible pieces of gear that you can use to get any sound imaginable. I have an Axe-Fx Ultra that is mainly used for effects, any signal chain you can dream up can be reality with that unit.

And great playing John! I still cannot bring myself to sell my Mesa either. It's more of a hassle to tweak and maintain, but it still has a quality that the digital platforms don't quite have yet. And yes, sentimental reasons as well. But for recording, you just can't beat the convenience and flexibility of digital.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

Thanks for the info.

EDIT:
    I was dazed and confused
    Thanks nonetheless, Corey- I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    No problem. They are both incredible pieces of gear that you can use to get any sound imaginable. I have an Axe-Fx Ultra that is mainly used for effects, any signal chain you can dream up can be reality with that unit.

And great playing John! I still cannot bring myself to sell my Mesa either. It's more of a hassle to tweak and maintain, but it still has a quality that the digital platforms don't quite have yet. And yes, sentimental reasons as well. But for recording, you just can't beat the convenience and flexibility of digital.
    Thanks, Blackbird- gotta agree with all points you laid out, there. (especially for the sentimental reasons)
    Personally, I my ears tell me that both my MESAs and the Axe-FX totally slay, and I'd see myself recording with either or even both! But for convenience among other reasons, if I go live again, I think it's going to be the Axe FX for sure- whether it's direct or fed into a power amp and cab, since there's no way I plan on carrying a trailer full of amps and cabs just to get whatever tones I want live. hahaha