Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tremolo swap?

  1. #1
    Member lgk1208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    104

    Tremolo swap?

    Tried searching for answer here and elsewhere, but couldn't find it. So I hope I'm not bothering you all, but my question is if I wanted to upgrade a tremolo in SE CU24, would a US PRS tremolo drop in or no? If no, then what mods would have to be done?
    Is it even worth it? Pros and Cons?
    THANK YOU
    Last edited by lgk1208; 03-17-2013 at 03:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,383
    It will drop in and it is well worth it. I did this to my SE Santana along with a lot of other US upgrades and I would put it up against virtually any other US made guitar, barring its Maryland Made PRS counterparts...

    You'll notice much better sustain and the "ring" of the guitar acoustically will improve by a large margin...

    Just do it, you won't be disappointed....

  3. #3
    Member lgk1208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    104
    Thank you

  4. #4
    Plank Spanker justmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Down under, down under
    Posts
    1,536
    I've also done this in a SE, the US bridge is the same design, however it is much better made; the casting is better, as is the finish. I believe it uses a different sized hex key for action adjustment, so make sure you get a new one with the US bridge. I also swapped out the 6 screws that hold the trem in place, just in case they were better...

    Does it work any better? Hard to say, I also swapped the nut for a US one and tuners for a locking type. I did it at the same time to separating out any improvement is difficult.

    The other major difference (on mine anyway), is the US bridge has a brass block. PRS use brass blocks on their US models for a reason, although there are others that prefer a steel block. Which one is better? Up to your ears.

    Why do you want to upgrade? Is it a tone or functionality thing? If it's working fine, but you just want to do it because you can, I'd suggest spending your money on other upgrades, such as a US nut or US pickups/wiring.

  5. #5
    Member lgk1208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I've also done this in a SE, the US bridge is the same design, however it is much better made; the casting is better, as is the finish. I believe it uses a different sized hex key for action adjustment, so make sure you get a new one with the US bridge. I also swapped out the 6 screws that hold the trem in place, just in case they were better...

    Does it work any better? Hard to say, I also swapped the nut for a US one and tuners for a locking type. I did it at the same time to separating out any improvement is difficult.

    The other major difference (on mine anyway), is the US bridge has a brass block. PRS use brass blocks on their US models for a reason, although there are others that prefer a steel block. Which one is better? Up to your ears.

    Why do you want to upgrade? Is it a tone or functionality thing? If it's working fine, but you just want to do it because you can, I'd suggest spending your money on other upgrades, such as a US nut or US pickups/wiring.
    I was just curious. Thank you

  6. #6
    Senior Member garrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    743
    I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you get a one-piece MannMade USA bridge. It's the top of the heap; superior to the two-piece PRS-made bridges.
    --Garrett--

  7. #7
    Senior Member Brad737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    540
    I agree. The MannMade trem rocks. I just spec'd this trem on my recent Private Stock build.


    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you get a one-piece MannMade USA bridge. It's the top of the heap; superior to the two-piece PRS-made bridges.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

    http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,502
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you get a one-piece MannMade USA bridge. It's the top of the heap; superior to the two-piece PRS-made bridges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    I agree. The MannMade trem rocks. I just spec'd this trem on my recent Private Stock build.
    Worth noting that these were the original Bridges PRS used, and John Mann still makes them.

  9. #9
    IMO the difference between the SE hardware and US hardware is likely to be more audible than the difference between the US (Excel) and Mann bridge. Even then, I have to wonder if the real benefit would be in the knife-edge screws and the saddles. I say that having swapped out almost all of my Trems to the Mann bridge. If you had me A/B my own guitars before and after the swap and tell you (blind folded) which was the Excel bridge and which was the Mann bridge, I'd be guessing.

    So why did I swap so many bridges out? Because I'm a hopeless tweeker.
    One Life

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •