View Poll Results: How often do you change strings?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • When I break one!

10 22.22%
  • When strings go on sale

1 2.22%
  • Right before gigs or playing out

7 15.56%
  • When I notice a loss of tone

30 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pssst - hey.... We're all friends here so, I gotta ask

Pssst - hey.... We're all friends here so, I gotta ask

When is the last time you changed the strings on you main guitar?

REALLY.

I don't know about you, but I avoid it like going to the Dentist. One of the great things on the PRS with the new tuners is it's actually easy!

I've had the P22 since July and changed strings once until yesterday. When I changed yesterday I realized that I was way past due. Guitar sounded much better - lots more top end and sustain was better.
    Last edited by Rango; 03-17-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    I change mine when the high E starts to feel bumpy from the frets.
    One Life

At some point it occurs to me that the guitar sounds a little duller. That's when I change 'em. My hands are very dry, so strings last for months around here.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Not a big fan of String changing......................
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

don't want to be a member
    When I notice a change in tone or they become less responsive to my attack, I have been known to change strings weekly but generally it's at least once a month, I don't believe all the hype about coated strings such as Elixirs lasting longer than a regular Ernie Ball Slinky etc, the major factor is how much playing you do.

I never play out without changing the stings and checking/tweaking the setup. I play out a lot, so my strings get change at least once a week.

Once my hands get sweaty while playing, the strings are done the next day. Whether I clean them or not.

I use Elixir's and change them when I notice the color change from the coating coming off the string.
    Plank Owner

I didn't realize you could change the strings. I use that as an excuse to buy another guitar.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    Powered by Friedman

I hate changing strings ( thanks PRS locking tuners for making it much easier though) but at the same time I love the feel of new strings. So I change them a lot. Probably a little more than 10 days to 2 weeks. I wish I could wave a magic wand and Poof! String change.

I like changing strings. Kinda therapeutic. Mostly like changing them while watching TV. And ever since changing to EB Cobalts, I change them so infrequently that I lose track.

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    I change 'em when they sound dead or get hard to keep in tune. I take all the strings off, clean the guitar up, treat the rosewood if it needs it. String it back up and put it in the rotation. It feels like I'm doing something nice for the guitar.

Uh...."E" all of the above?

Oh, and I love changing strings with winged tuners.... so easy and fast!

I find it quite therapeutic, a new set of strings, a general check of action etc. and a clean and polish. It's always nicer to play afterwards.

I voted when I notice a change in tone...but if I break one I tend to change the whole set unless I'm on the spot...Hans made a good point...if the string begins to feel bumpy or crusty at all...it's time to go.

I wipe down the guitar and my strings every time I play and typically check how the strings feel immediately when I take the guitar out.
    -Bob

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Pretty much once the tone has gone when i'm at home. used to be a little more often when I was gigging. I used to change my strings a lot more often but my sweat seems to be a little less corrosive these days, so providing I keep the strings wiped down with an old cotton rag and use Fast Fret then they tend to last for quite a while.

I don't know about anyone else but I hate the way new strings sound and feel. They seem at their best to me after a few hours of playing in.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Serial Acquisitionist
    I voted for loss of tone, because there was no "they feel funky" option. I tend to dig in a bit, so I also break them more than I'd like. When one goes, they all go.

Cool

Interesting replys! Thanks!

I like the "I just buy a new guitar" answer - "Honey I NEED a new guitar the strings on this one are worn out!"

Several mentioned they enjoyed changing strings - I do enjoy the "Loving on" my guitars with some cleaning and polishing. They always look good after and I like taking care of my stuff! Sometimes it just hard to get started - that's why I did 3, once I had the stuff out.

I think I came to dislike changing them because some of the tuners I had were just a PITA to deal with... I did my Strat, LP and then the P22. I just amazing how easy it is on the P22.

I was surprised at the number of replies for "When I break one" but it's an honest answer - my kid and his band mates are still like that - "It's not broken, why would I work on it?"

I realized at lunch both acoustics need it. I run Elixers but I can see that the coating is worn off and the strings are tarnished. It's time...

I voted notice a loss of tone because it is closest to my behaviour, which is to change them when there is something I don't like about them any more. It might be they feel old, or look like parts are worn (different colour near frets I use a lot for example) or if they sound wrong. I think I notice the feel first most of the time.

Whenever I gig. If I play one show, I'll usually rehearse with that guitar until the next gig. If the guitar hasn't been gigged for a bit, then when they sound dull.

I try to keep them as long as I can, but I change them right away when I'm about to play live, or once they lose their brilliance and dull down while recording.
    When it comes to actually buying strings, I try to wait for sales/any time I can get them in bulk instead.