Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 269

Thread: The Art of the Vinyl

  1. #21
    A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texxas, USA
    Posts
    3,392
    This is one of only a handful of albums that I've ever gotten just because of the cover art. I ended up liking some of what was inside, but it was the art that hooked me.

    T Rex "Electric Warrior"



    Goldtop
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

  2. #22
    A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texxas, USA
    Posts
    3,392
    A lot of us probably already know this, but for those who may not and are interested, much of this art is the work of a company called Hipgnosis. They did tons of work in the music industry over the years, and they're still at it, although not to the extent they once were. There are some great books out on the company and its art. Might be worth a look.

    A personal note for you younger folks: I'm not trying to be weird here, but please keep this sort of thing alive. Downloads are one thing, but there is nothing like holding something in your hand, thinking about it, having it to always go back to and remember.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipgnosis

    Lloyd (Sorry to the OP rugerpc for the sermon and the hijack.)
    Last edited by Goldtop; 03-18-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

  3. #23
    Senior Member Rango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The FAR SIDE of the Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    970

    Cool

    I was going to post the "Nothings Shocking" cover...might be across the line here.

    I remember that one stopping me in my tracks.

    Loved album art and the stuff in the liner notes.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,496







  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    GREAT THREAD!!





















  6. #26
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,353




    [IMG]EDM/TNMLAkEm6MI/AAAAAAAABjM/D2mCevJCl_c/s1600/iron_maiden_somewhere_in_time.jpg[/IMG]





    There's a great Floyd Boxset cover which features 5 naked ladies sat on the edge of a pool with Floyd album covers painted onto their backs. Not graphic but perhaps not suitable for this forum?
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  7. #27
    A♥ hoards guitars A♥ rugerpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    deep in the raspberry...
    Posts
    3,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    A lot of us probably already know this, but for those who may not and are interested, much of this art is the work of a company called Hipgnosis. They did tons of work in the music industry over the years, and they're still at it, although not to the extent they once were. There are some great books out on the company and its art. Might be worth a look.

    A personal note for you younger folks: I'm not trying to be weird here, but please keep this sort of thing alive. Downloads are one thing, but there is nothing like holding something in your hand, thinking about it, having it to always go back to and remember.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipgnosis

    Lloyd (Sorry to the OP rugerpc for the sermon and the hijack.)

    Lloyd - there were several artists and agencies that specialized in album art. Hipgnosis did most of the covers for Pink Floyd. Roger Dean did most of the ones for Yes.

    Yes :: Tales From Topographic Oceans
    Last edited by rugerpc; 03-18-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

  8. #28
    A♥ hoards guitars A♥ rugerpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    deep in the raspberry...
    Posts
    3,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    I was going to post the "Nothings Shocking" cover...might be across the line here.
    It's a safe bet that a certain Blind Faith cover can't be posted here either....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

  9. #29
    A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texxas, USA
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    There's a great Floyd Boxset cover which features 5 naked ladies sat on the edge of a pool with Floyd album covers painted onto their backs. Not graphic but perhaps not suitable for this forum?
    Oh yeah! I dig that one. I have it on a poster, and a couple of shotglasses. It was called "Back Catalog", wasn't it?

    Lloyd
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

  10. #30
    A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texxas, USA
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Lloyd - there were several artists and agencies that specialized in album art. Hipgnosis did most of the covers for Pink Floyd. Roger Dean did most of the ones for Yes.

    Yes :: Tales From Topographic Oceans
    So many great memories here. The Frazetta stuff for Molly Hatchet. Sorayama for Autograph, and one for Aerosmith too. Was it Roger Dean who did some for Nazareth?

    Lloyd
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

  11. #31
    Just a member JustRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    1,557

  12. #32
    A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texxas, USA
    Posts
    3,392
    Cheap Trick "Dream Police". One of my all time faves.



    Goldtop Lloyd
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

  13. #33
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    6,556


    I need a chair like this one.

  14. #34
    A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texxas, USA
    Posts
    3,392
    Cheap Trick "Rockford"
    Cheap Trick "Rockford"



    Goldtop Lloyd
    Goldtop Lloyd
    Last edited by Goldtop; 03-18-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

  15. #35
    A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texxas, USA
    Posts
    3,392


    GT
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

  16. #36
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    Oh yeah! I dig that one. I have it on a poster, and a couple of shotglasses. It was called "Back Catalog", wasn't it?

    Lloyd
    I think so. I hunted down a poster as soon as I saw it. You've got it on shotglasses?! Where'd you find those... I'd have bought them in a heartbeat if i'd spotted them.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  17. #37
    don't want to be a member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    178
    This entire thread is like reliving my early teens of sitting in the bedroom with the turntable blasting out our latest vinyl purchases and staring and passing commentat album art, particularly on double LPs when folded out to create a panoramic image (many prog rock albums were great for that....too many to list here).

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    A small selection from my basement walls:




    ;

















  19. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    There's a great Floyd Boxset cover which features 5 naked ladies sat on the edge of a pool with Floyd album covers painted onto their backs. Not graphic but perhaps not suitable for this forum?
    I believe you are referring to this....not really "R" rated, but if so, mods can delete...




    Here are some more Floyd memorabilia...note the tickets to "The Wall" from 2/80:



    Roger Waters performed "The pros & cons of Hitchhiking" live, with Eric Clapton as his lead guitarist, back in 1986:



    And from both the 1980 and Water's 2010 Live performance of "The Wall":





    And, to finish off...in keeping with the theme of this thread...some vintage vinyl...note the original "Yesterday & Today" cover:




    It's easy to get lost in my basement for hours!
    Last edited by docbennett; 03-18-2013 at 04:42 PM.

  20. #40
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,353


    Ahhh... 6 naked ladies even.

    Got the same tour programme when I went to see The Wall a year or two ago. I rarely buy them but that was a good one.

    Nice pics Doc!!!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •