Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art of the Vinyl

Banned
    And from the inside sleeve of a 1960's album....

"Announcing the latest technology, sure to replace Vinyl":

They should have just scrapped this invention and invented the CD a few years sooner!

don't want to be a member

Banned
    Here are some from one of my favorite artists...too bad Golden Earring is primarily known just for Radar Love. "Twilight Zone" is one of my favorite songs ever.

From this album...see if you can see the price tag

This one was very rare and hard to find...

Another rare one...

Great extended version of 8 miles high, which you never hear on radio...

Banned
    You won't find this type of creation with a CD. This was some of the fun associated with albums, and I miss it....Alice Cooper, anyone???

I never did use the included book cover...but there were a few courses in my graduate program that I was tempted to...it was more important to be able to graduate, however.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenJ1973 View Post
    surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet
    I did kind of but it was the cover we all see today. (If I remember the story rightly) isn't the one you posted the original cover but was censored so they had to put it on the inside?
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    I did kind of but it was the cover we all see today. (If I remember the story rightly) isn't the one you posted the original cover but was censored so they had to put it on the inside?
    Yeah, I had one with this cover and it was stolen from me, they are worth quite a bit nowadays, the one you posted must be on page 3 of the thread, google chrome is detecting Malware and blocking that page....

Now I hope this doesn't get censored by the mods, I have a original with the misprint (track name that does not appear but is a reference to track 2 "bodies" I won't name it here cos it's too offensive and don't want to post it, cos that is not in my nature).

I don't know if you are aware but in every offical piece of Iron Maiden artwork there is a commonality, there's a symbol consisting of a circle with 3 arrows coming from it's centre, we used to buy the posters and spend hours looking for the symbols they also appear on some of the earlier album covers.

I'm seeing some posted in the thread that I'm a little surprised were left up by the mods. If it was a conscious move then I applaud it. This is art after all...

Here's Rush "Permanent Waves"

Goldtop
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Yeah, I had one with this cover and it was stolen from me, they are worth quite a bit nowadays, the one you posted must be on page 3 of the thread, google chrome is detecting Malware and blocking that page....

Now I hope this doesn't get censored by the mods, I have a original with the misprint (track name that does not appear but is a reference to track 2 "bodies" I won't name it here cos it's too offensive and don't want to post it, cos that is not in my nature).

Is that a plugin on Chrome? Just checked the page with chrome and one of images wasn't showing so I replaced it. Could have been the issue, not sure.

I don't know if you are aware but in every offical piece of Iron Maiden artwork there is a commonality, there's a symbol consisting of a circle with 3 arrows coming from it's centre, we used to buy the posters and spend hours looking for the symbols they also appear on some of the earlier album covers.
    Cool, I didn't know that! Got a few of their albums so i'll have to see if I can spot them.

@Goldtop

I've posted a couple that are certainly borderline. Lovehunter may well be a bit much....? I wouldn't post them ordinarily but i'm hoping in the context of this thread on album artwork they'll be allowed to stay. I'll respect the mods wishes on that.
    Last edited by Mikegarveyblues; 03-20-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Is that a plugin on Chrome? Just checked the page with chrome and one of images wasn't showing so I replaced it. Could have been the issue, not sure.
    If you go into settings for chrome then advance settings there is a check box for enabling phishing & malware protection.

Cool, I didn't know that! Got a few of their albums so i'll have to see if I can spot them.

@Goldtop

I've posted a couple that are certainly borderline. Lovehunter may well be a bit much....? I wouldn't post them ordinarily but i'm hoping in the context of this thread on album artwork they'll be allowed to stay. I'll respect the mods wishes on that.
    Mike,

Like I said; I applaud it all the way around, from the posters to the mods. I always try to be aware that people of all ages can see this board, but I also agree with you that in this context some things may be okay that wouldnt ordinarily be. Just my opinion of course. TO ME, nothing I've seen has been over the line, but that's just me. I'm not in charge of diddley...

Thanks to everybody who is posting here. This may be the thread of the year up to this point. I'm seeing some covers that I had forgotten, or had never even seen before. A+!!

Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    I'm seeing some posted in the thread that I'm a little surprised were left up by the mods. If it was a conscious move then I applaud it. This is art after all...
    Goldtop
    I see the line continued to be pushed and so far it's OK. Hopefully we can all continue to act responsibly

If you go into settings for chrome then advance settings there is a check box for enabling phishing & malware protection.
    It's checked but nothings being flagged or blocked.

name the album

How can we continue here without The Mighty Tap? I started to do the single cover for a certain kind of school they sang about, but I think this one is classier.

Spinal Tap "Break Like The Wind"

Goldtop

Banned
    In my opinion....if it's album art that appeared on the shelves for purchase...than it has no business being censured on this forum. It is art....and if we are we going to start censuring nudity and "offensive topics" than I think we have crossed the line into a state not unlike that of extreme totalitarianism where thought and free speech become the victims and the population is "dumb-ed down" into submission. Glad to see the stuff we've posted remains. Remember...if it was able to be placed on the store's shelf, in full view of anyone...who then has the "right" to say it's inappropriate?

On a related note...I recall that the controversial John Lennon album "Two Virgins" (I won't push the envelope and post it here) was on store shelves as well...but it typically had something blocking the cover so that the full frontal nudity was concealed. OK...rant protecting free speech and the arts is over now. Thanks for the bully pulpit.

name the album
    We are of a similar mind, all these many miles apart...

Bless Tap!

Goldtop Lloyd

The way i'm considering which album cover to post is did I buy it in a record store and it will be ok provided it was not in a bag that concealed it's identity...self censorship is the way forward I think musicians are intelligent enough to know what is offensive and what isn't and what we would allow our own kids to see or not. Censorship was a lot stricter in the 60s 70s 80s than what it is now.