Thread: PRS SE Custom 24 - Grey black?

PRS SE Custom 24 - Grey black?

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy my first PRS and wanted to consult the wise people of the forum first before going ahead with the purchase.

I'm looking for an SE Custom 24 in grey black with the bird inlays but these for some reason are a lot harder to come by. The ones that are in stock have the regular dots. Has this model been discontinued in this particular colour or am I missing something here?

Thanks

Last edited by Victek; 03-19-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    So many guitars So little money

Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy my first PRS and wanted to consult the wise people of the forum first before going ahead with the purchase.

I'm looking for an SE Custom 24 in grey black with the bird inlays but these for some reason are a lot harder to come by. The ones that are in stock have the regular dots. Has this model been discontinued in this particular colour or am I missing something here?

Thanks
    Bird inlays, bevelled top, blade switch and push-pull coil split are features found on newer 2012/2013 models. if you look closely, those aren't just regular dots, they're actually mother-of-pearl crescent moons. Yes, you heard that, MOP. Some people actually favour it over the newer bird inlays that are made from acrylic. If it has a flat top and a 3 way toggle switch instead of blade switch, it's probably a pre-2011 model. While this is just a big maybe, it might be a special run model only available sometimes through certain retailers. If you can provide us with the serial number behind it's headstock, we could give you more info on which year it's made.

Musician's Friend will have some in stock 27 March. It's an exclusive color for them. I've bought all my guitars on line from them and sweetwater.com.
    Have had no issues with any of them.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-guitar/h70029
    : 2012 SE Tremonti Custom w/ Tremonti Pickups & Schaller Locking Tuners
    G&L: 2013 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk, 2010 Tribute Jerry Cantrell Rampage w/DiMarzio Super Distortion, 2012 Tribute Legacy w/ DiMarzio Fast Track Strat Set
    Ovation: 2012 Elite 2078AX
    Amps: Acoustic Lead G120 DSP, Acoustic Lead G20

Quote Originally Posted by Victek View Post
    Yes that's the one. I've seen it on several US website but as I am located in Australia these aren't too common here apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by tdiers View Post
    Musician's Friend will have some in stock 27 March. It's an exclusive color for them. I've bought all my guitars on line from them and sweetwater.com.
    Have had no issues with any of them.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-guitar/h70029
    Thanks for the info. It's a shame that stores such as Sweetwater don't ship most gear to Australia otherwise I would be all over that. I've generally found that guitars aren't worth importing in from the US if they are sub ~$1500 otherwise it may be worth using a forwarding service.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    Bird inlays, bevelled top, blade switch and push-pull coil split are features found on newer 2012/2013 models. if you look closely, those aren't just regular dots, they're actually mother-of-pearl crescent moons. Yes, you heard that, MOP. Some people actually favour it over the newer bird inlays that are made from acrylic. If it has a flat top and a 3 way toggle switch instead of blade switch, it's probably a pre-2011 model. While this is just a big maybe, it might be a special run model only available sometimes through certain retailers. If you can provide us with the serial number behind it's headstock, we could give you more info on which year it's made.
    Thanks a lot for the information! This knowledge proved to be very useful yesterday when I went into the store to buy the guitar. After having a close look I ended up going for the Tobacco Sunburst and am expecting delivery before the Easter break.

Thanks for the help everyone!