Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Capo:- anyone tried one/ thoughts?

don't want to be a member

Spider Capo:- anyone tried one/ thoughts?

Exactly as the title asks, has anyone tried one, I kow Dave Weiner uses them but wanting more opinion other than because a artist uses them.

http://www.spidercapo.com/

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    This is sick! I didn't know this existed, so thank you!
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

No probz, I think i'm going to order 1 or 2 today, the vid demos on the site are awesome, expensive though at 30 each

I used to work with the guy who invented this. Looks like the same idea.

http://www.weaseltrap.com/capo.html

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I used to work with the guy who invented this. Looks like the same idea.

http://www.weaseltrap.com/capo.html
    I think the difference between the harmonic capo and the spider capo is the harmonic capo is designed to play purely natural harmonics, whereas the spider capo is a alternate tunings for individual strings, both very similar in design but totally different in function

I've taken the plunge and ordered 2 spider capos...

Please give us some feedback after you give them a go.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenJ1973 View Post
    I think the difference between the harmonic capo and the spider capo is the harmonic capo is designed to play purely natural harmonics, whereas the spider capo is a alternate tunings for individual strings, both very similar in design but totally different in function

I've taken the plunge and ordered 2 spider capos...

It's an interesting Idea...
    Sort of a capo twist on the robo tuners Gibson and Pevey have on electrics!

I'll be interested to hear your impression. I wondered how much of the sonic "magic" of an open tuning is the full lenght strings ringing to a pitch?

I just bought a Shubb Capo - it's great great in getting a capo on the guitar and not pulling it SHARP. Much better than the spring clamp type capos.

Quote Originally Posted by 38Roars View Post
    Please give us some feedback after you give them a go.....
    I most definitely will, they will hopefully be here tomorrow (i paid next day, but then parts for my bike never turned up today as they were supposed too), so give me until the weekend to get comfortable with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    It's an interesting Idea...
    Sort of a capo twist on the robo tuners Gibson and Pevey have on electrics!

I'll be interested to hear your impression. I wondered how much of the sonic "magic" of an open tuning is the full lenght strings ringing to a pitch?

I just bought a Shubb Capo - it's great great in getting a capo on the guitar and not pulling it SHARP. Much better than the spring clamp type capos.
    The best way would be to listen to Dave Weiners acoustic album where he uses them on his Angelus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVdF...l46kXopBGvCq-Z

I bought one a couple years ago. Pretty cool to have, but barely ever use it.
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO

Quote Originally Posted by Chris528 View Post
    I bought one a couple years ago. Pretty cool to have, but barely ever use it.
    Is that cos it's not suiting your playing style or just you have no use for it etc.

Is that cos it's not suiting your playing style or just you have no use for it etc.
    Just never really messed with it much. It might actually work well with my style if I gave it a chance.
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO

I just bought one of these last week. I was interested in the harmonic capo, too, but never pulled the trigger on it.

Anyway, I've only barely noodled with the Spider, but I really like it. It doesn't really fit with my normal playing style, but it gives you cool access to faux alternate tunings. You can get some interesting voicings. I saw Dave Weiner use two on a song on the Vai tour last fall, and when I talked to him afterwards, I totally forgot to ask about them.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Exactly as the title asks, has anyone tried one, I kow Dave Weiner uses them but wanting more opinion other than because a artist uses them.

http://www.spidercapo.com/
    I have two. It should be great in combination with the Harmonic Capo.

@ Alan and tab10s,

thanks they should be here in the next few hours (tracking the parcel says they are on the delivery van). Yes, I'm a huge Dave Weiner fan and have been for a long time (since I first saw him with Steve at the Astoria and he played Party Piece, I actually consider him to be a better player than Vai and Satch but he's more down to earth and easier to talk to. When I purchased his latest album I got the instructional vids and tabs so will be using that as a initial guide to setting up and using the Capos (there's only 1 song on the entire album that is in standard tuning and only 3 that don't require a spider capo.

they've arrived, inital set up is a little fiddly but not s bad so as to frustrate, i'll do a vid later, I need to go on a bike ride whilst the sun is out...

Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    I have two. It should be great in combination with the Harmonic Capo.
    It does everything a Harmonic Capo does. It has attachments called harmonik mutes that do the same thing as the harmonic capo-excpt because there is no strap you can put it at any natural harmonic location. There's a vid on The spidercapo forum shows a guy with it on the 19th fret getting some 3rd order harmonics. ..amazing actually

Hi-
    I'm new on this forum but am into this capo just because it can fit your style,
    It doesn't change the guitar tuning, so you just get a different open tuning but evrything else stays the same...the guy said there are about 1,000 tunings the spidercapo can do on the neck. I use about 4, but when I look around evryones using different ones..thats interesting

ok here's a very quick and amateur vid excuse my babbling and the poor playing still trying to find my way with these new tunings

you are only hearing the camera mic there's no EQ and no protools...oops did I sound like somebody else there...

Vid Removed
    Last edited by DarrenJ1973; 03-28-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bandy View Post
    It does everything a Harmonic Capo does. It has attachments called harmonik mutes that do the same thing as the harmonic capo-excpt because there is no strap you can put it at any natural harmonic location. There's a vid on The spidercapo forum shows a guy with it on the 19th fret getting some 3rd order harmonics. ..amazing actually
    Thanks for the info, Joe - I hadn't been to the web site in a while, so I had no idea these were available, but I will be ordering a set!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner