Thread: Pickup upgrade for 59/09 Custom 24, Something fatter and hotter!

Pickup upgrade for 59/09 Custom 24, Something fatter and hotter!

I have a custom 24, a 2011 model. Would like some advice from other forum members. The bridge pickup for me is to bright even when driven pretty hard and the the tone pot rolled back. Iam looking for something thick sounding, never shrill. Maybe a sc250 pickup, HFS pickup or tremonti pickup. Only looking to change the bridge pickup can live with the neck pup. Any advice would be welcome. I play heavy blues/rock. Mark.

You are having issues with 59/09 sounding Fat!? I have a 2009 Custom 24 59/09 rosewood that is my darkest sounding guitar.

That being said, the 59/09 is not a super high output PUP. Measures 9.4K. If you want something hotter, the HFS or a Tremonti is a good choice. The HFS can sound a bit bright though.

I would look at changing out the caps first. Try a .0223 cap and see if you like the results. Your's should have a .047 or a .033.
    Last edited by cjmwrx; 03-20-2013 at 10:30 AM.

What amp are you using? are you using a clean boost? I have multiple guitars with 59/09's and typically have no issue getting extremely fat and heavy sounds...I also play in a heavy blues/rock band...funny thing is my main axe these days is a 305....mostly to offer a contrast to the R9 the other guitarist in my band plays...But I can also get very heavy sounds out of a 305 depending on how the rest of my rig is set up...I would look at the rest of your rig first before starting to swap pups...shrillness to me indicates an eq issue.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 03-20-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    -Bob

Maybe try lowering the pickup?

Hi Iam using a hughes and kettner puretone head and 2 x 12 cab, and a wampler ecstasy to drive the amp. I was thinking of changing the cap. like cjmwrx said. Mark.

I'd be interested in hearing how swaping the caps works out!