Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SE Custom 24 Tuning issues

I am considering taking my guitar to store I bought it at and having them fix. Did you get a new nut or cut the nut it came with? Also, my guitar came with so little documentation and I got it from a major store. What is the nut cut for as far as string guage? I changed from the stock strings to DAddario Light top/heavy BTM= 10/13/17/30/42/52

Quote Originally Posted by toodamnhip View Post
    Just got the SE custom 24, I cannot for the life of me get it to stay in tune when using tremelo. Checked all factory adjustments and they are fine. Tried pencil in the nut, didn't work. What about Vaseline or 3 in 1 oil? Haven't tried those yet, honestly, my bridge is creaking and I think that is the problem. I put a bit of 3 and 1 on the bridge screws like it recommends at prs, didn;t work. I agree that if one has to change the nut to get it to work, that is not right. It should work. I have another question. Is there a way to put a piece of wood inside the tremolo compartment that is just the right size and FREEZE the tremolo in a permanent position?
    Do you know what gauge strings are on it? I use Super Slinky "9s" and I didn't have much trouble with the tremolo and tuning. I did eventually block it though since I don't need it. Here's a Youtube video that shows an easy way to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDl76UM6Tvc

You could also get an accessory called a Tremol-No which enables you to block/unblock the tremolo on the fly. If you're curious about the Tremol-No there are a number of videos on Youtube.
    So many guitars So little money

Quote Originally Posted by toodamnhip View Post
    I am considering taking my guitar to store I bought it at and having them fix. Did you get a new nut or cut the nut it came with? Also, my guitar came with so little documentation and I got it from a major store. What is the nut cut for as far as string guage? I changed from the stock strings to DAddario Light top/heavy BTM= 10/13/17/30/42/52
    The SE Custom 24 comes with 9-42 strings from the factory. See here:

https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html

The heavier gauge strings you put on could be binding in the nut. If you want to use 10-52 gauge you may need to get the nut slots filed.

As for documentation I didn't receive any either, but any Info you need about the guitar can be found here at prsguitars.com
    Last edited by Victek; 12-28-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    So many guitars So little money

Quote Originally Posted by Victek View Post
    The SE Custom 24 comes with 9-42 strings from the factory. See here:

https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html

The heavier gauge strings you put on could be binding in the nut. If you want to use 10-52 gauge you may need to get the nut slots filed.

As for documentation I didn't receive any either, but any Info you need about the guitar can be found here at prsguitars.com
    That would be my guess as well. It's cut for 9-42 stock, so the thicker strings might be binding at the nut causing your tuning issues. Try filing the nut (or having a tech do it if you're not comfortable, that's an easy job) and that should fix your issue I'd bet. Beyond that you could add locking tuners as well but my guess is the nut is the culprit here.
    -Matt