Thread: How can I remove dust from my precious PRS Mira?

How can I remove dust from my precious PRS Mira?

I bought a PRS Mira yesterday. A beauty, love it!

Anybody any ideas about how to keep the dust away? I was thinking about a hair dryer (cold position). I wonder how they keep all those guitars in stores without dust. I plan to keep it in the case when I don't play. But it is not always in the case when I don't play. Anyway, dust will surely stick on it.

Any suggestions?

I have bought special cleaning liquids for fretboard and body, but I also like to get it clean without putting the strings off.

I have bought a tool (see picture) but on second thought it might be static, which is not good I think. (sorry for the large picture)

Last edited by Luther; 03-14-2014 at 11:28 PM.

If you play it all the time it won't get dusty.

Defender of the Universe HANGAR18's Avatar
    I keep a few of my guitars hanging on a wall so I can grab them quickly and play them as often as possible.
    Dust is inevitable so I keep a swiffer duster handy and it works very nicely.
    The trick is trying to find a way to manicure the ends of the strings in such a way that you can reduce how much swiffer duster gets snagged when you are removing dust from the headstock faceplate.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Quote Originally Posted by HANGAR18 View Post
    I keep a few of my guitars hanging on a wall so I can grab them quickly and play them as often as possible.
    Dust is inevitable so I keep a swiffer duster handy and it works very nicely.
    The trick is trying to find a way to manicure the ends of the strings in such a way that you can reduce how much swiffer duster gets snagged when you are removing dust from the headstock faceplate.
    @HANGAR18, thanks for reply!

I don't completely understand your words. If I understand it right: what you call 'swiffer duster' is the same thing as I already own (the picture)? and there is not a problem with it (might be static, perhaps not good for the Humbugs / pickups) when cleaning the pickups and their surroundings?

Further: do you mean by 'how much swiffer duster gets snagged' that things from the swiffer itself might get stuck in some parts of the guitar? Sorry I dont completely understand, my english is not that good. One has to do what in order to reduce what? I dont understand what the trick is. What are ends of the strings? You mean the end of the strings in the locked tuners? So you mean one has to carefully move around the end of the strings in the tuners or else the swiffer gets stuck, and pulling than will result in tiny 'hairs' from the swiffer stay in the guitar?
    Last edited by Luther; 03-15-2014 at 07:57 AM.

You can get a rocket blower, it's a photography tool, a rubber squashy thing that gives out a puff of air.

Junior Member Chitarrista scarso's Avatar
    cheap and effective.

When mine are out hanging on their wall mounts, I use a guitar cloth 100% cotton from Planet Waves, and also a Griots Garage microfiber blue cloth for use with their Speedshine product to dust off my guitars.

As for dust that gets on the headstock, neck, and around the pickups, I use my mouth and blow.
    I am full of a lot of hot air

I don't hang them, but I use a microfiber cloth from Griot's like Corey for cleaning.

The best thing (as you state yourself) is to keep it cased when not in use. The case buffers temperature and humidity changes, and prevents not only dust but other air borne contaminants from working their way into the control potentiometers, etc.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Thanks guys for all the good ideas, suggestions and practical tips! Now I know what products I can best use for it, and that keeping it cased is good for the guitar for various reasons.
    Last edited by Luther; 03-15-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Defender of the Universe HANGAR18's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    @HANGAR18, thanks for reply!

I don't completely understand your words. If I understand it right: what you call 'swiffer duster' is the same thing as I already own (the picture)? and there is not a problem with it (might be static, perhaps not good for the Humbugs / pickups) when cleaning the pickups and their surroundings?

Further: do you mean by 'how much swiffer duster gets snagged' that things from the swiffer itself might get stuck in some parts of the guitar? Sorry I dont completely understand, my english is not that good. One has to do what in order to reduce what? I dont understand what the trick is. What are ends of the strings? You mean the end of the strings in the locked tuners? So you mean one has to carefully move around the end of the strings in the tuners or else the swiffer gets stuck, and pulling than will result in tiny 'hairs' from the swiffer stay in the guitar?
    The swiffer duster does look similar to the duster you have in the picture but it is made differently. Yes, one has to carefully move around the end of the strings in the tuners or else the swiffer gets stuck, and pulling will result in tiny 'hairs' getting hung up on them. The swiffer is made in such a way that it resembles feathers with a little bit of stickiness. A swiffer brand duster seems like it would be easier to fit under the strings and into the gap between the strings and the pickups. Maybe they don't sell swiffer brand dusters where you live. Sorry about that.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Dust adds tonal quality!

Here is something else you may want to look at.
    I am a HUGE fan of The String Cleaner.
    http://www.thestringcleaner.com/

I have one in every guitar case, and after getting my guitars out for the weekend to hang on the wall, I use it on the strings, then use a cloth to wipe the whole guitar down with before casing it.
    The String Cleaner is very easy to use, the whole thing opens up, then you snap it shut over your strings, and go back and forth around four times.
    It cleans all sides of the strings, and it makes them last longer.

From the inventor of The String Cleaner.

1.) Get soft cloth
    2.) Wipe dust off with cloth from Step 1.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

The best way to keep dust off is to just sell them. preferably to someone who's not worried about dust! (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    The Tone King has spoken.
    He just uploaded this today.

I use the same dunlop 65 srtring cleaner. if he's pulling that much black off his guitar strings, then he needs to clean them a little more often.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    If you play it all the time it won't get dusty.
    Pretty much this. I get fret cheese, fingerprints and arm-rub goobers after a relatively short time playing, so I am more or less constantly cleaning them and the dust doesn't have a chance to accumulate, even though all of my guitars are out on stands. I can't keep them in their cases - out of sight, out of mind for me and I like walking into one of the rooms I keep them in and being inspired to pick up a particular guitar for whatever reason. I never know which one I will want to play that day and if it's in the case I just won't go get it while others are out.