Thread: Questions about shipping a PRS from Canada to the US???

Questions about shipping a PRS from Canada to the US???

I'm seriously considering buying a guitar from a Canadian seller, but I don't know what to expect in terms of customs processing fees and wood restrictions coming back into the US. Has anyone done this? I have no idea what to expect with customs fees. As far as the woods, I know PRS is generally very good about making sure their woods are legally obtained and ok for import, and this guitar is pretty run-of-the-mill, mahogany and rosewood and as far as I know, no rare types of those woods or anything.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

US manufactured Guitar coming back into the US... Can't see it being an issue at all

I know one Canadian dealer that I bet sells as many guitars to USA Customers as Canadian's - never heard of any issues. Gotta love the "North American Free Trade Agreement"
    Last edited by Rango; 03-25-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: what I though wasn't what I typed! LOL!!!

As long as it is Shipped FedEx overnight, you have nothing to worry about as far as customs. The machine moves to fast for the fed.

If the guitar contains sea shells (e.g. inlays) then you might need an inspection.

Best bet, tell the dealer you want a door to door price, that way they are responsible for getting the guitar from them to you, and pay all the associated insurance/shipping/customs/quarantine etc fees.

I bought a PRS from a person in Canada. I remember having to fill out some custom forms, mostly due to the value of the instrument.

I haven't had an issue..except for the currency exchange fee on my CC. Which I knew about. Brent is awesome if that's who you are dealing with.

I bought a PRS MEQ from the US, it was overnight and I only got dinged for 5% GST, which I would normally pay.
    Not sure how it works the other way around.