Thread: Singing the Praises of the 2-Channel "C"

Singing the Praises of the 2-Channel "C"

I'm a bit sad to find that it's not offered anymore. Personally I did a lot of listening via YouTube between the "H" and the "C" and I thought the "C" was suited more to my tastes. I like that upper-mid growl that EL34 power sections produce. When I received it, I opened it up and found a small Belton 3-spring reverb unit. It's not the lushest verb but being a small unit, it will never "sproing" if the head is knocked about (yes, I tried this test). I also found inside, Winged C EL34s for which I was pleasantly surprised - good tubes. The "C" is for the Cinemag output transformer which adds a bit of cost to the head. I usually use a Bogner Alchemist 2-12 (Celestion Greenback G12M and G12H) open back cab with this head. But I've also open her up with a Marshall 1960A loaded with Greenbacks - very tight and woody bass. Just about any shade of clean can be had on the clean channel but the lead channel is where this amp shines. The key to a great Marshallesque dirt tone with this amp is to carefully set the bass control. Too much and it gets flabby - seems like the sweet spot is between 9 and 12 o'clock. I also place a Boss ME-70 multi-FX in the effects loop for modulation and delay and also use the boost on the ME-70 and/or an Exotic Effects RC Booster. The RC, especially, lets me set a bit of crunch with the lead channel gain and boost with more hair for solos without changing the basic EQ. Anyway, I love this head and would like to see a Custom version of it. How about it Doug Sewell?

The HXDA has a Cinemag transformer, but I'm not sure if it's the same one. If it is and you want a Custom amp, I'd highly recommend it.

In any event, they're sure making great amps, aren't they?
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Some call me.... Tim
    I have one of the first 20 "C" amps that were released before they started labelling them "2 channel C" and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by TJIann View Post
    I have one of the first 20 "C" amps that were released before they started labelling them "2 channel C" and love it.
    +1.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Can you have too many? Buildermike's Avatar
    +1 from another owner of the first twenty.

deus ex machina
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    The HXDA has a Cinemag transformer, but I'm not sure if it's the same one. If it is and you want a Custom amp, I'd highly recommend it.

In any event, they're sure making great amps, aren't they?
    The 50W Cinemag output transformer was blueprinted from a famous 50W Marshall head. All of the 50W amps use the same Cinemag output transformer.

So how do you gents like the C's compared to the H's? I've not tried a C but from what I've heard clips of, the cleans sound great and have a bit of a different flavor from the H - a really great EL34 clean that you don't hear very often...

I was also a bit disappointed that the C is being discontinued. I think with appropriate revisions like the H has gotten, it could definitely stay relevant.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

The differences between transformers are a bit over my head, but I have run 6L6s and EL34s and 6550s all in the same amp and my ears prefer EL34s. I'm sure the C didn't sell well because the H was (on the surface) the same amp for $300 less than the C.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I have one also and it is my #1.

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    So how do you gents like the C's compared to the H's? I've not tried a C but from what I've heard clips of, the cleans sound great and have a bit of a different flavor from the H -
    I have both. To my ear, the C has far superiors cleans. The H has more modern dirt whereas the C tends to crunch.
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

+1 love my 2 Channel C. just purchased a flame maple panel for it yesterday!!!!
    ZebraPRS
    Guitars: 1967 Gibson Byrdland; 1995 PRS Custom 24; 20?? PRS Custom 24 Custom Zebra Stripes, 2009 25th McCarty NF, 2011 Custom 24, 2013 PRS HBII,
    Amps: PRS Original Sewell 50 watt #43 with Paisley 2x12 cab; PRS Pre-Prod 2 Channel C with 2x12 DB Cabinet, PRS Custom 10 watt head

Some call me.... Tim
    I'm thinking about bringing mine over to PTC to have it housed in paisley with a flame maple face plate