Thread: Dave Knudson from Minus The Bear gives us a Rig Rundown from Premier Guitar Magazine

Dave Knudson from Minus The Bear gives us a Rig Rundown from Premier Guitar Magazine

Dave dicusses his unique style of sampling, looping and playing and also talks about his Custom 24 and McCarty Goldtop.

Dave's segment starts at the 9:54 mark.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2...ry_Murchy.aspx

don't want to be a member
    That's not guitar playing that's programming/playing a pedal board. nice guitar though.

I really like Minus The Bear, an old girlfriend took me to see them maybe six years ago? and they really impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenJ1973 View Post
    That's not guitar playing that's programming/playing a pedal board.
    I felt this way too for the first two songs of their set, add the fact that he was doing a lot of tapping and I was ready to dismiss them as goons.... but they are not at all! I am no stranger when it comes to using backing tracks in a live setting and I think that the way they do it is super creative, and adds a totally different dimension to their guitar parts.

I am a fan.

I agree with Sergio. I think their use of technology may be unorthodox, but it is very creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I think their use of technology may be unorthodox, but it is very creative.
    I really have to give them props.

I have seen and toured with a bunch of bands that use loopers, and they way they do it is still very much "live" music. They could totally run all of the samples from a computer (which they do have on stage BTW) or they could just be another act that just layers endless parts on top of each other, but they don't.

Lets not forget that there was a time the The Edge's use of delay was considered "cheating" and that he was not considered a great guitar player.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Lets not forget that there was a time the The Edge's use of delay was considered "cheating" and that he was not considered a great guitar player.
    I still wonder about that guy. Check out this deleted scene from 'It Might Get Loud.' When he asks "what strings do you use?" Jack White gives this WTF look and then realizes Edge is serious. I chortled.

I admit though, even if playing the parts drowned in delay isn't technically advanced, simply having the creativity to conceptualize and bring those sounds to life is still impressive.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

DGT Club Vice President

Dave has such great taste in gear!

mgd

DGTs

Just so there are some MTB songs in this thread.

What I like is that they're doing interesting things with textures and electronica, but more than that, they're also writing good songs that are well performed.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I've never heard about them before, but man, this is more then cool. maybe what they create is not what kind of music I like, but definitely is very creative out of the box kind of thing.

Dave dicusses his unique style of sampling, looping and playing and also talks about his Custom 24 and McCarty Goldtop.

Dave's segment starts at the 9:54 mark.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2...ry_Murchy.aspx
    Shawn - his comments starting at about 24:05 would lead one to believe he really needs to try a P22 - He needs a Piezo!

Maybe you know somebody that could arrange that?
    Last edited by Rango; 04-07-2013 at 11:01 PM.

I have a friend in the business, maybe he can help Dave out.

I have a friend in the business, maybe he can help Dave out.
    Cool!

I was sitting at home with my P22 in my lap -noodling while watching the Video- when he got to that part... I wished I knew him so I could go "here try this..."

Hopefully it works out!

Dave Knudson was in Botch.

I rocked those albums hard back in their day.
    Plank Owner