Thread: Santana pickups for David Grissom model?

Santana pickups for David Grissom model?

About a year ago I bought a PRS David Grissom model and I'm thinking about swapping out the pickups for the Santana model pickups. For rock, blues, funk, etc. the DGT is great, but in jazz situations where I'm playing big loud Wes Montgomery-style chords, I've been slightly less than impressed with the rhythm pickup - there's a bottom or heaviness that it seems to lack - I want to say "bass," but it's a fullness or "warm bottom" quality that I feel like it's missing. Some people even think I'm playing a single-coil (even when it's not tapped). I played a Santana (US-made model) that sounded unreal. Can someone recommend a pickup that would get the job done? I looked online for "PRS Santana pickups" and couldn't come up with much, and I don't even know if they sell Santana pickups.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar

Re: Santana pickups for David Grissom model?

I suggest trying a 53-10 for what you just described. In full humbucker mode it is incredibly full. And when split? Killer s-type tone.
    One Life

What Hans said.
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    I suggest trying a 53-10 for what you just described. In full humbucker mode it is incredibly full. And when split? Killer s-type tone.
    Hmmmm, 53/10's sound yummy.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

So can you actually buy 53-10 pickups separately? It didn't look they were available on the PRS site.

They are there. They're also called RPs. I've been waffling between 57/08 and 53/10 on my Quatro. Both may suit you well. They are very thick but retain a clarity and sparkle that are perfect for for jazzy blues stuff.
    2009 tremonti
    2012 ME Quatro
    2008 McCarty nitro

I just stumbled upon this old post. Just in case someone takes the prior post as gospel, it is 100% inaccurate. 53/10s ARE NOT also called RPs. Those are the "Ralph Perucci" pickups that went in the original Modern Eagles.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    I just stumbled upon this old post. Just in case someone takes the prior post as gospel, it is 100% inaccurate. 53/10s ARE NOT also called RPs. Those are the "Ralph Perucci" pickups that went in the original Modern Eagles.
    +1