Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you stay relevant? or do you not even try?

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Squid View Post

For some reason, roaring electric guitars go straight to the pleasure centers in my brain, and I'm a geek so I'm highly biased towards heavy, tightly arranged, riff-oriented music.
    This!

I'm just tuned in too much to the sound of the electric guitar... Particularly lead guitar.

There's stuff I kike that has no guitar whatsoever but it's made up for in other ways.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

If playing live is relevant (and who knows - maybe it no longer is), but if playing live is relevant, then the audience will tell me if what I'm doing is relevant. Do I try to be relevant? Well I write for me, and if it works for the audience, then at least for that audience, I was relevant and I'm good with that. I don't write to please the audience, but it's nice when it happens. But I won't persist in inflicting the same thing on an unresponsive audience. So that's the measure of relevance, for me.

As for the older music...
    I did not grow up listening to music. I have no desire to revisit some era to resurrect the soundtrack of someone else's life.
    Last edited by -ST-; 03-29-2013 at 12:41 PM.

I open up iTunes and listen to the new stuff on Tuesday's. I remember jumping through hoops to find certain music just a few short years ago. Rarely do I want something that's not on iTunes now so I don't feel like I am missing out at all.
    Plank Owner

If a classical musician plays something from the 1700's, say a nice Mozart piece, would he irrelevant?
    If music is good and you like it, I say play it!
    From the People's Republic of Maryland (One beer away from the West Street Shop)

GO NATS!