Thread: Playing one of Paul's personal guitars

Playing one of Paul's personal guitars

I like the number 777, so thought I should try to post something special for it. I hope this qualifies.

I know a few people have had a chance to touch and feel one of Paul Smith's personal guitars. He certainly doesn't mind sharing. I'd like to hear about those experiences. As always, pictures make it better. Last April I got a chance to play the violin prototype. The short version of the story is that I didn't want to let it go: beautiful acoustic tone, breath taking top, silky neck and the electronics had the best balance I've ever encountered. It was a truly unforgettable experience.

Paul is very generous sharing his guitars. If you ever get invited to try one, do not hesitate because it is guaranteed to be a great experience. Don't be shy. I'll leave it to you whether or not you are willing to let him throw it to you - there are good odds he will offer to.

Last edited by veinbuster; 04-30-2013 at 06:53 AM.

I am sucked in to the mystique of the Violin Guitar but can't get into the Celtic Knot inlays, this looks really, really cool.

Me and PRSH at the 2nd PRS Forum Event.

Later that night, I was talking to Paul at the bar, he had the guitar back in it's gig bag. He asked me to hold it while he went to the bathroom. He didn't return for almost an hour. I was afraid to go anywhere!!!

And lest anyone asks, no, he wasn't in the can all that time. He was meeting and greeting everyone there when he came out...

Jamie

P.S. I got to play it earlier that day...
    Last edited by JMintzer; 03-27-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Someday...

Lloyd
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

That is a great write-up, Pete. Not that I'm surprised, but thought I should mention it any way.

My story is a little different. Paul has never tossed me one. He has signed a few back plates for me, but that isn't so unusual.

My short story is, I own one that Paul used to take on sales calls. So I can say I play one of Pauls guitars all the time. It's a great player, but isn't the ME1 he usually played before somebody invented "Pauls Guitar". 2007 amberburst quilt Cu22 with BRW neck. It didn't have a MODCAT when I bought it used so I emailed PRS and asked why. They said it was made for Paul to take on sales calls so it didn't get a MODCAT.

1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

It looks like there are a couple chunks of wood missing on the fretboard around the 2nd and 3rd frets.

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    It looks like there are a couple chunks of wood missing on the fretboard around the 2nd and 3rd frets.
    I was going to ask about that... Looks like years worth of playing with the thumb at the second fret!

Was there an accident or is it some figuring?
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    I was going to ask about that... Looks like years worth of playing with the thumb at the second fret!

Was there an accident or is it some figuring?
    Neither. Paul can make a guitar for himself, or an artist, that would be deemed flawed for production. At the risk of speaking for Paul, I think you would find he selects wood purely for how it will do its job on a guitar and is willing to ignore cosmetic 'flaws'. There are a couple of small spots on this exceptional neck that got a bit of fill so keep it smooth.

I got to noodle around with Paul's guitar while he gave a clinic with Tony McManus last year in August. Had sort of a violion/amber finish, with a hint of charcoal or something. Didn't get to plug it in so I couldnt test it out with an amp. 408 pickups, with a slight satin/semi-gloss finish to it. Felt amazing from my limited time with it. The finish made the neck real smooth and nice. Unfortunately, no pictures .

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Neither. Paul can make a guitar for himself, or an artist, that would be deemed flawed for production. At the risk of speaking for Paul, I think you would find he selects wood purely for how it will do its job on a guitar and is willing to ignore cosmetic 'flaws'. There are a couple of small spots on this exceptional neck that got a bit of fill so keep it smooth.
    Cool beans!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    Cool beans!
    At one of the many visits he made to local guitar shops a few years ago, he passed around one of his guitars, and on the side of the neck, if I remember correctly, there were actually filled "worm holes"...???, but strumming acoustically, it rang forever...