Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What stomp box's with your PRS?

Hybrid View

What stomp box's with your PRS?

Since becoming a member here, I've noticed that many of you like/prefer TC Electronic effects pedals. Honestly, until I came here I had never heard of them. Much to my suprise, now that i have heard of them, I see them in the MF catalog, so I assume they've always been there, I just didn't pay any attention to them LOL. I currently have a BOSS GT6 Multi board, which has served me well, but i never get "exactly" the tone I'm looking for. I usually get close and just say screw it, but find myself "tweaking" on the damn think costantly "trying" to find the sounds i'm looking for. Since so many of you prefer the single analog boxes I've decided maybe its time for me to get away from the multi unit and maybe try some stomp box's. Which units do you think really compliment your PRS's? To start with, I think I'm just going to get a good distortion pedal, a good chorus pedal and maybe an overdrive/boost. Does the TC Electronic stuff have better quality effects than say Boss, who seems to have the "most" when it comes to types/selections? Tell me everything you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post
    Which units do you think really compliment your PRS's? To start with, I think I'm just going to get a good distortion pedal, a good chorus pedal and maybe an overdrive/boost. Does the TC Electronic stuff have better quality effects than say Boss, who seems to have the "most" when it comes to types/selections? Tell me everything you know!
    I'm not familiar with the TC pedals, but I have a Digitech Bad Monkey tube overdrive pedal that works nicely with my SE. Silly name not withstanding it has solid construction and separate controls for high and low tone, gain and level. It's also surprisingly affordable. Checkout the reviews on Youtube.
    So many guitars So little money

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Victek View Post
    I'm not familiar with the TC pedals, but I have a Digitech Bad Monkey tube overdrive pedal that works nicely with my SE. Silly name not withstanding it has solid construction and separate controls for high and low tone, gain and level. It's also surprisingly affordable. Checkout the reviews on Youtube.
    I just got one Very Happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by Victek View Post
    I also recently got one .I'm very happy with it .You really can thicken the sound with the tone controls !

I check it out Victek, thank you

DGT Club Vice President

This is usually how I fire up my PRSi....

mgd

DGTs

I don't know Mike...you still have some empty space on that board LOL

Since becoming a member here, I've noticed that many of you like/prefer TC Electronic effects pedals. Honestly, until I came here I had never heard of them. Much to my suprise, now that i have heard of them, I see them in the MF catalog, so I assume they've always been there, I just didn't pay any attention to them LOL. I currently have a BOSS GT6 Multi board, which has served me well, but i never get "exactly" the tone I'm looking for. I usually get close and just say screw it, but find myself "tweaking" on the damn think costantly "trying" to find the sounds i'm looking for. Since so many of you prefer the single analog boxes I've decided maybe its time for me to get away from the multi unit and maybe try some stomp box's. Which units do you think really compliment your PRS's? To start with, I think I'm just going to get a good distortion pedal, a good chorus pedal and maybe an overdrive/boost. Does the TC Electronic stuff have better quality effects than say Boss, who seems to have the "most" when it comes to types/selections? Tell me everything you know!
    Every effects company has its own personality when it comes to products.

TC is best known for its time based effects like choruses, delays, and reverbs, going back to its early classic chorus pedal, and its superb studio gear. They're also very, very good at digital technology.

Boss is used by lots of touring pros as well as "just plain folks", and their stuff is great bang for the buck.

Fulltone is known for its classic effects emulations, and musical usefulness, also on a great many pro pedalboards. Analog goodness.

Electro-Harmonix creates unique effects that a lot of players like, and they're pretty edgy at times. Cool stuff.

Dunlop/MXR/Way Huge also create a lot of very good bread and butter effects at good prices.

Strymon does incredible digital emulations of classic analog and digital pedals. They sound great.

Line6 probably needs no introduction - lots of folks use them. I like certain of their emulations, others are less successful, such as distortions, etc.

In addition to these, there are ten zillion other boutique pedal-makers who are putting out some very cool stuff,
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Every effects company has its own personality when it comes to products.

TC is best known for its time based effects like choruses, delays, and reverbs, going back to its early classic chorus pedal, and its superb studio gear. They're also very, very good at digital technology.

Boss is used by lots of touring pros as well as "just plain folks", and their stuff is great bang for the buck.

Fulltone is known for its classic effects emulations, and musical usefulness, also on a great many pro pedalboards. Analog goodness.

Electro-Harmonix creates unique effects that a lot of players like, and they're pretty edgy at times. Cool stuff.

Dunlop/MXR/Way Huge also create a lot of very good bread and butter effects at good prices.

Strymon does incredible digital emulations of classic analog and digital pedals. They sound great.

Line6 probably needs no introduction - lots of folks use them. I like certain of their emulations, others are less successful, such as distortions, etc.

In addition to these, there are ten zillion other boutique pedal-makers who are putting out some very cool stuff,
    perfect description! loved it

Which units do you think really compliment your PRS's?

One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    THIS!
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

I like the white one better!

Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Me too but only if I can get Ang to send me one for free.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post

Just can't find one of those. Love the white one!

right now I'm using 2 of those. One is always on with gain zero and the other I use to drive the amp/ it's a magic tool

I've been using the Xotic AC Booster for years. It's great for driving an amp, or I typically put it before my OD in the chain to cascade gain and give a boost for solos. I've seen the EP on tons of boards, though.

I like the TC Electronic Flashback delay. It's a great-sounding, versatile box. Their Polytune Mini is a great tuner design; I may get one some day.

There are too many overdrive/distortions to count. I guess the choice comes down to what sort of tone you want. The other guitarist in my band recently started using a couple of Mesa Boogie drive pedals and they sound killer with his LP, so I've no doubt they'll rock with a PRS.
    --Garrett--

TC Electronic Polytune Mini and Strymon anything. I have been considering some Xotic stuff.
    Plank Owner

If you're just starting to build a board... there is a dizzying array of choices. But if you look at enough boards you'll start to see some pedals that pop up over and over... "Classics" if you will. Consider starting there...

If somebody asks me I usually say TUNER, OD, Delay to start...
    Boss TU-3
    Fulltone OCD
    TC Flashback

These three would be a pretty nice start - Not too much debating the TU-3 and OCD but there are a Bunch of delays - The TC is newer but has been a hit in it's own right - has emulations of a bunch of classic delay types.

Pedals are FUN! My current travel board

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    If you're just starting to build a board... there is a dizzying array of choices. But if you look at enough boards you'll start to see some pedals that pop up over and over... "Classics" if you will. Consider starting there...
    Why bother choosing?

One Life

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Why bother choosing?

You don't have to be Michael Flatley to use that board... But it helps!

Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Why bother choosing?
    That is seriously sick :-)