Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Car Reccomendations

My '05 Civic has been so good to me, I'm really leaning towards getting another one. My wife wants to step up to something fancier, but this will primarily be my car and I'm content with the Honda.

What sort of things are you looking for in the new ride Shawn? Gas mileage, safety, size, etc, etc?
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

New or used? Tough to beat a Honda/Acura new or used.
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

The Honda' Civic's s are fantastic we had one for years.

We're on our Second Prius now, can't say enough good about it - Not expensive, reasonable performance and it actually gets the clamed mileage. Plus being a hatch back - you can get a BUNCH of gear in it! Not "sexy" but VERY VERY functional. Consumer Reports gave it there "Best Value" car of the year:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...est-value.html

50mpg ROCKS!

Go drive one and see if you like it? Ask for a Trim level 4 to try, it's nice but not over the top.
    It's a bit strange at first but the electric motor torque from a stop is surprising! It's a bit like driving a spaceship, you don't "start it" you turn it on and it just goes from there!
    Last edited by Rango; 04-02-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Over here diesel is king, we have a big Hyundai SUV for towing our horses around, you cannot beat their reliability and value. For everyday we have a VW Golf 2.0 TDi. It has all the safety and comfort toys. 140 horses, 6 speed direct shift auto 'box, if you're in the mood 0-60 in 9 (not really an important figure but handy poke for getting past tractors etc), 130ish flat out if you are in Germany, but driven 'normally' 50-60mpg.

I bought a gas VW Passat a few months ago and I'm pretty happy with it. I've averaged 24.8 mpg over the first 1900 miles (according to the computer). I wanted the diesel but I only drive around 800 miles/month and between the extra cost of the diesel engine, diesel fuel (one reason I decided to replace my truck as a daily driver) and the deal they offered on the gas engine (0% for 66 months), gas made better sense. With a 6' driver in front, a 6' passenger in back has tons of legroom. The trunk is huge. Plus, it's made in Kentucky. My only complaint is the suspension is not stiff enough for my driving style but that's an easy fix. VW is trying to outsell Toyota or something so they are offering some great deals.

If you are considering a car that you want good mileage from and performance you can beat any of the VW derived Diesels, I have a Seat Exeo (old Audi A4) its got a 170bhp motor and with gentile motorway driving I can get over 60 mpg out of it.

Last year on the German Autobahns it would happily cruse at 100mph and still return 45mpg

So a Golf Diesel would be well worth a look.

my 2p
    PRS SE Custom 24 in Royal Blue
    Fender Mustang III V2
    Fender Squier Telecaster in Butterscotch Blond
    Stagg Electro Acoustic

Quote Originally Posted by Woundtight View Post
    Honda Civic. I am in Greensburg, IN tonight, where they make the Civic.

And you thought Muncie and New Castle were in the middle of nowhere..
    You must be there on business because no one goes there on purpose, otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    1997 Defender 90

Reliability: High
    Gas Mileage: Low
    Cool Factor: Off the charts
    This one has great aftermarket accessories:

But, my next toy will be something like this:

Last edited by rugerpc; 04-03-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

If you can afford, I highly recommend Mercedes Benz C class. The 250 gets 32mpg. Used ones can be had with MB warranty for around 25-30K. They are very reliable, and service is an oil change every 13K.

I drove Subarus for years, have loved my Benz from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    My '05 Civic has been so good to me, I'm really leaning towards getting another one. My wife wants to step up to something fancier, but this will primarily be my car and I'm content with the Honda.
    I'm a Honda fan as well. My 97 Civic has 160k on it. A few years ago I stepped up to the Civic Si. It has the same reliability, a little less fuel economy, although that depends on how you drive it. But the 6-speed close-ratio stick and V-tec engine is so so so fun to drive.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

Shawn...I have first hand knowledge about buying cars, because between the laboratory and now the boat capt thing I sold them...

First Rule..Never "fall" in love with a particular car.
    Second..Find three cars that fit in your budget and parameters your are gonna use it for.
    Third ...research the models and get the Carfax as a negotiating tool

Fourth..Buy on the last day of the month. Use the trade in value in the NADA Book of the car you want to buy and add 1k to that. If the dealer has more than the trade in value in the car..thats his mistake not yours.. Plus make sure that 1k includesthose silly doc and prep fees.

Fifth..If your trade is paid for and runs well keep it or sell it yourself.

Oh..NEVER NEGOTIATE ON PAYMENTS..Always bottom line or OTD (Out the Door)

I really love my Honda Element, but they don't make those any more sadly. Easily, it's one of the most functional, versatile vehicles ever made. I can fit the kids and take them to school, or I can fit a guitar half stack with an Ampeg 8x10 and a six space rack and a keyboard amp and 5 guitars and two pedalboards in cases and two equipment boxes with room to spare. All in an overall footprint smaller than my wife's Camry.

If something happened to the Element and I couldn't find any decent used ones, I'd probably go look at a Subaru Forester and the new larger Prius V.

My wife had a 98 Civic HX for many years, it got 40 MPG consistently for her. When we had kids and a 2 door civic wasn't working any more, we moved up to a Camry Hybrid for her, and the fuel economy is usually in the mid-high 30s. I'll also 2nd the Prius mention. We drove one of those but my wife liked the more luxurious features of the Camry Hybrid.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Used to have a VW diesel rabbit, back when diesel was dirt cheap 48 mpg fillup the tank for 7 bucks..But repairs were astronomical.

Sorry for this but how about a g-wizz. Great mpg. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by carpincowboy View Post
    Sorry for this but how about a g-wizz. Great mpg. Lol

what is a g-wizz?

A g-wiz

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Since I have a 1999 and a 2002 in my garage and other than routine maintenance have only replaced a rectifier, it is hard to argue against you.