Thread: Pickup Input Please...

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar

Pickup Input Please...

Gents,

I'm ready to change the pickups in my SE Santana and I would like to ask the audience if you will. She currently has a good set of McCarty pups that I like but I want to LOVE. All the other hardware is upgraded to Maryland Made components as well, for what it's worth. My McRosie has 53/10s and I adore those pickups. Sweet split tones and a nice warm growl with that RW neck. The Custom 22 has A set of O.G. Dragon pups that I had covered and they are just plain awesome. Nice chugga chugga but the covers seemed to have "sweetened" them up overall. Very nice... My DGT has, you guessed it, DGT pups. Love 'em!!! It's my blues machine and then some. The SE One has a Lollar P90.

I want something that will compliment the rest of the family but with a different flavor... I am completely open and would really appreciate your input and suggestions, as well as any tonal characteristics/details regarding the pups you would recommend...

Please and Thanks!!!
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

covered 59/09s
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    covered 59/09s
    Any reason vs the uncovered Squabbin version? Might be harder to find...

I love both the uncovered and the covered...however the covered 59/09's in my Dirty100 are out of this world....I felt there was a bit more fullness to them a bit less harsh(not saying the uncovered are harsh but you get the idea)...very controllable pup and touch sensitive. There is something about the way 59/09's compress when you dig in that just does it for me...the covereds are still very different than lets say a covered 53/10....which I also like...57/08's are a blast too...especially if you experiment with different iterations. Out of all of those series pups 5X/XX and the DGT's ....the covered 59/09's just really do it for me...it's a feel thing.

****I also don't have any squabbins...I have the regular uncovered 59/09's and the covered.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 04-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    -Bob

Keep the McTreble and put some lipstick in the neck.

I love both the uncovered and the covered...however the covered 59/09's in my Dirty100 are out of this world....I felt there was a bit more fullness to them a bit less harsh(not saying the uncovered are harsh but you get the idea)...very controllable pup and touch sensitive. There is something about the way 59/09's compress when you dig in that just does it for me.

I also don't have any squabbins...I have the regular uncovered 59/09's and the covered.
    This sounds juicy... Thank you sir!

Anyone else?

I edited my post a bit ....sorry....tried to be a bit more clear but I probably just made it more confusing.
    -Bob

I also have an early set of McCarty's that may have been wound by Fralin...I learned about this after speaking with Hans when we were out in Indy.

Absolutely stunning pups...if you can find a set...very different to my ears (i guess now ear) than other McCarty's.
    -Bob

Oh and a DEEP DISH II.

If you CAN FIND IT>>>BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!

or tell me where I can find it so I can buy it.
    -Bob

Oh and a DEEP DISH II.
    I wish!!!

And about the McCarty pups, any way to distinguish the early from the latter? My set sound good, but a little flat next to my other guitars... I actually have another set of McCarty pups that I've never heard before. Picked up CHEAP back in the days of BAM but ended up selling the guitar they were intended for... Maybe I should try those (seems redundant though)...
    Last edited by Hopeful Sinner; 04-04-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Keep the McTreble and put some lipstick in the neck.
    Hmmm... Just saw this, and it's interesting. Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Sinner View Post
    I wish!!!

And about the McCarty pups, any way to distinguish the early from the latter? My set sound good, but a little flat next to my other guitars... I actually have another set of McCarty pups that I've never heard before. Picked up CHEAP back in the days of BAM but ended up selling the guitar they were intended for... Maybe I should try those (seems redundant though)...

Paging Hans....your insight is needed.
    -Bob