Thread: SE pickup swap

SE pickup swap

Would you swap out a set of SE stock pups for an older HFS/Bass set? Or a Gibson 498T/490R set?

There are sets on my local CL for $100... is either worth it?
    Last edited by auriemma; 04-04-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    Joe ... They say having a dark side will lead to no good... I certainly hope so!
    PRS: 07 CE-22; 03 Santana SE; 12 Tremonti SE || Ovation: 06 Elite-T 1868T; 79 Glen Campbell Artist 1627; 95 Balladeer 1751 || Fender: 69 Mustang Comp; 91 Strat Plus; 11 Tele Std || Gibson: 11 Les Paul Studio 60s Deluxe || Martin: 12 GPCPA4 RW || Epiphone: 12 ES339 Pro || Bradley: 77 Les Paul Custom || Squier: 99 Precision Bass

Hell yes I would swap them with the HFS/VB combo. Cool pups, good price.

only way to find out is to put em in and let em speak to you

That is a good price for that set of pickups. The HFS will be much more aggressive sounding than the stock SE pickup if that's what you're going for. I've never played a VB pickup, can't comment on that, but you could always run the stock SE pickup in the neck if you wanted.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I swapped out the stock SE pickups from my Tremonti SE for a set of signature Tremonti pickups. Holy cow what a HUGE difference that made, my SE doesn't sound like my Tremonti signature because of the different wood used in the construction, but still awesome. Do it, you won't regret it!
    '11 SC250,'12 Tremonti one-off, 2007/13 McCarty Korina,'11 Custom24 Quilted 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'12 Studio w/BK Cold Sweat,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'12 NF3, EVH 5150 Half stack, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles; Mayones, Suhr, Skervesen, Gibson, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Dean, EVH, Taylor, GJ2, Ibanez, Carvin, Kramer, Agile & Spawn

All of a sudden I have the itch to call my dealer to find out how much for them to buy and install the US Tremonti pups in my 2012 SE Tremonti Custom.

OK... I have a deal in the works finally.

2-3 more questions...

1. What kind of tonal sound difference can I expect swapping my SE pups for a HFS/VB set?

2. Which would you put them in?
    A. SingleCut SE
    B. Tremonti SE
    C. CE22 (is it crazy to replace the Dragon IIs)
    Joe ... They say having a dark side will lead to no good... I certainly hope so!
    PRS: 07 CE-22; 03 Santana SE; 12 Tremonti SE || Ovation: 06 Elite-T 1868T; 79 Glen Campbell Artist 1627; 95 Balladeer 1751 || Fender: 69 Mustang Comp; 91 Strat Plus; 11 Tele Std || Gibson: 11 Les Paul Studio 60s Deluxe || Martin: 12 GPCPA4 RW || Epiphone: 12 ES339 Pro || Bradley: 77 Les Paul Custom || Squier: 99 Precision Bass

Quote Originally Posted by auriemma View Post

2-3 more questions...

1. What kind of tonal sound difference can I expect swapping my SE pups for a HFS/VB set?

A. SingleCut SE
    B. Tremonti SE
    A or B
    I did that very thing in an ESP LTD guitar with great results. The SE pickups don't suck, but they don't compare to the originals.
    '11 SC250,'12 Tremonti one-off, 2007/13 McCarty Korina,'11 Custom24 Quilted 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'12 Studio w/BK Cold Sweat,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'12 NF3, EVH 5150 Half stack, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles; Mayones, Suhr, Skervesen, Gibson, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Dean, EVH, Taylor, GJ2, Ibanez, Carvin, Kramer, Agile & Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by auriemma View Post

2-3 more questions...

A. SingleCut SE
    B. Tremonti SE
    1. More aggressive, hotter output, stronger mid range focus/cut through the mix instead of nasally.

2. A or B have the same pickups most likely, so which ever one you want to be the more aggressive sounding guitar. C would be fine as well, then move the D2s to one of the SEs.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana