Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kick Ass Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Me too, Bob. One of the most surreal moments of my life was at Wright Patterson AFB museum and I was able to reach out and touch one...without being shot dead on sight! Laid hands on a ghostly legend.

Another sentimental fav is the F-14 Tomcat. Obviously, my oldest son Drew (now almost 23) didn't have the same feelings.

Last edited by Boogie; 04-07-2013 at 09:56 AM.

As part of my job I got to visit a Lockheed Martin facility and fly flight simulators for the F-22 and F-35. Both amazing and formidable aircraft, and that was just the unclassified stuff.

F-35

F-22

Man, I used to love making models of all these planes as a kid... The P-38 was a favorite.

A10 baby. Anything that has a gun powerful enough to slow the plane down when firing is a winner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjmwrx View Post
    A10 baby. Anything that has a gun powerful enough to slow the plane down when firing is a winner!!!

I agree. I was a mortar man in the marines for a light armored reconnaissance unit and we marked targets for A-10's from time to time. They are so cool. And that gatling gun is WICKED.
    2012 SE Custom 24

Quote Originally Posted by Rodicus View Post
    Another aircraft I like is the CT-114 Tutor. It's flown by an aerial acrobatics group known as the snowbirds. Seen them a bunch of times at different airshows. Pretty cool!!

I worked security at an airshow a couple of times. I once was assinged to the flight line...it sucked for the most part (imagine standing on asphalt for eight hours with no shade), but I got to meet the pilots and crew. Snowbirds were there that year...nice guys, especially the crew.
    Too many and never enough...

Quote Originally Posted by cjmwrx View Post

Love the sexy fighters, but I've always had a soft spot for these guys. Now, I love me some Spooky!

The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum is not too far from the factory. If you guys have some time to kill before or after the experience, you should check it out. They have the Wright Bro's first plane, Charles Linberg's "Spirit of St. Louis", the plane that made the first non-stop trans-Atlantic flight ever. (Now the Airbus A380 does it all the time). They also have Apollo 11 Capsule and much more. Best part is that the museum is free. There is also the Udvar-Hazy Center which is supposed to be another amazing museum which now houses one of the Space Shuttles, among other things. I've never been to the U-D Center, but I plan on taking my son this summer.

http://airandspace.si.edu/udvarhazy/

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum is not too far from the factory. If you guys have some time to kill before or after the experience, you should check it out. They have the Wright Bro's first plane, Charles Linberg's "Spirit of St. Louis", the plane that made the first non-stop trans-Atlantic flight ever. (Now the Airbus A380 does it all the time). They also have Apollo 11 Capsule and much more. Best part is that the museum is free. There is also the Udvar-Hazy Center which is supposed to be another amazing museum which now houses one of the Space Shuttles, among other things. I've never been to the U-D Center, but I plan on taking my son this summer.

http://airandspace.si.edu/udvarhazy/
    When I visit Washington that is my favorite museum to see. There are many museums along the mall, but that is the must see for me. Oh, and the Wright Bro's plane was not the first...
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

That isn't the Wright brother's first plane?

DGT Club Vice President
    I live four miles from Udvar Hazy. I love it so much.

My grandfather was a test pilot for the Navy from '43 to '66. He transitioned from props to jets. Flew everything from Coursairs to Phantoms.

mgd

DGTs

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    That isn't the Wright brother's first plane?
    Actually, no, it is the first of their powered planes, but they build and tested gliders earlier. That is why they chose Kill Devel Hills. It had constant inland blowing winds so they could test their gliders.

My comment though was for the current debate about who was the first in flight.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/...rst-in-flight/
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Plank Owner

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Concorde was always a beauty:

There's one on display just up the road in Manchester...

Spitfire's a classic!

Someone posted the SR71 Blackbird earlier... That is one cool plane!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

I've gotta go with the SR-71. One of my instructors in the AF got to work with them when a few of them were recommissioned in the mid 90s, and he had some absolutely amazing stories about those planes. 60 years, and no other aircraft has been able to break the Habu's records for speed or altitude. That's just mind-boggling to me. What I wouldn't give for a window into Skunkworks...

And Shawn - the Udvar-Hazy museum is WAY better than the Air & Space in downtown DC. It's a bit of a PITA to get to (having to take the toll road and what not), but it's well worth the trek if you're a fan of aircraft. You'll be greeted by a Blackbird as you walk in the front door, and they've replaced the space shuttle trainer with Discovery. The trainer was cool, but man...Discovery is a friggin' sight to behold.

I think I've done enough geek-gushing for the day...

The BlackBird for me. It's amazing even by todays standards. If I were to pick a new'ish one, probably F22. Actually if I listed off all of the planes I liked over the years we would be here a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    Concorde was always a beauty:
    You say Concorde, I think...

Named for the plane. Always thought the plane was cool.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    You say Concorde, I think...

Named for the plane. Always thought the plane was cool.
    Don't normally dig pointy guitars but that's pretty cool. Didn't Randy Rhoads play a Concorde?
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by boxstop7 View Post
    I've gotta go with the SR-71. One of my instructors in the AF got to work with them when a few of them were recommissioned in the mid 90s, and he had some absolutely amazing stories about those planes. 60 years, and no other aircraft has been able to break the Habu's records for speed or altitude. That's just mind-boggling to me. What I wouldn't give for a window into Skunkworks...

And Shawn - the Udvar-Hazy museum is WAY better than the Air & Space in downtown DC. It's a bit of a PITA to get to (having to take the toll road and what not), but it's well worth the trek if you're a fan of aircraft. You'll be greeted by a Blackbird as you walk in the front door, and they've replaced the space shuttle trainer with Discovery. The trainer was cool, but man...Discovery is a friggin' sight to behold.

I think I've done enough geek-gushing for the day...
    Thanks for the recommendation, it's on my to do list this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post

I just noticed how short the wings span is on the red planes. Those must be ridiculously hard to control.