View Poll Results: What is the Best Music Based Movie?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Almost Famous

    2 6.06%
  • Hard Days Night

    0 0%
  • This is Spinal Tap

    15 45.45%
  • That Thing You Do

    4 12.12%
  • Across the Universe

    0 0%
  • Purple Rain

    2 6.06%
  • Amadeus

    1 3.03%
  • Other: I'll tell you in my post!

    9 27.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

Thread: What is the best Music Based Movie?

  1. #21
    DGT Club Vice President
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Riding, VA
    Posts
    835
    From a soundtrack standpoint, I love Pulp Fiction!

    From a movie about music and bands, I likeTthat Thing You Do...Very good call!!
    __________________________________________

    mgd

    DGTs

  2. #22
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    From a soundtrack standpoint, I love Pulp Fiction!

    From a movie about music and bands, I likeTthat Thing You Do...Very good call!!

    Any soundtrack featuring Chuck Berry is OK in my book.


  3. #23
    DGT Club Vice President
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Riding, VA
    Posts
    835
    YES!!! ^
    __________________________________________

    mgd

    DGTs

  4. #24
    Senior Member Rango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The FAR SIDE of the Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I'm going with This is Spinal Tap AND The Blues Brothers
    I guess I need to watch This is Spinal Tap.

    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Phoebe Cates
    Clip is edited But you get the idea...


    Pulp Fiction is pretty cool too But I have found it can freak out people who've never seen it when you laugh at "I did not hit no M>>>FER>>> BUMP!"
    Last edited by Rango; 04-09-2013 at 11:05 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member RedGuitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    654
    Blues Brothers.

    If you're gonna throw KISS into the mix, then what about Detroit Rock City?
    ___________
    Mike Cantrell

  6. #26
    Name Manglin' Putz alantig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,756
    DRC was no Phantom!!!

    And for a music-based movie plus a good soundtrack, it's hard to beat either "Once" or "The Commitments". Or "Quadrophenia".
    Alan

    "I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

  7. #27
    Vamanos Pest QueenCityGuitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    412
    'Amadeus' hands down...but This is 'Spinal Tap' is a very close second!

  8. #28
    Member Jon van derlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Devon UK
    Posts
    104
    U2 Rattle and Hum, (takes me back to my teenage years)
    PRS SE Custom 24 in Royal Blue
    Fender Mustang III V2
    Fender Squier Telecaster in Butterscotch Blond
    Stagg Electro Acoustic

  9. #29
    Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,438
    This is Spinal Tap.

    Because it goes to eleven...

  10. #30
    Shoegazing Member Serious Poo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    North of the southern border, east of the western sea
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    I really liked August Rush. It is worth it just for the bit where the orphan first plays a guitar, but there are a number of other excellent moments in it.
    Fantastic movie, it has a few cheesy moments but the music is just incredible.

    I also agree with the recommendations for Almost Famous. That movie just got so many things exactly right.
    Be.
    Do.
    Have.

  11. #31
    Vamanos Pest QueenCityGuitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    412
    Here's a few other music movies that I really enjoyed that are not on this list:

    1. Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage
    2. Anvil: The Story of Anvil
    3. Foo Fighters: Back and Forth
    4. This Might Get Loud
    5. Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

    I've also heard really good things about 'Sound City' (about Sound City studio and the Neve board that was used to record Nirvana's 'Nevermind' and Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumors').

  12. #32
    Senior Member frankb56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    300
    The Last Waltz.....a classic in all aspects.
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/



  13. #33
    Pincher of Harmonics Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    If you're gonna throw KISS into the mix, then what about Detroit Rock City?
    Awesome movie! Ed Furlong's best flick aside from T2.

    It Might Get Loud is good too, but not really a "movie."
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

  14. #34
    Member Jon van derlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Devon UK
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGuitars View Post
    Here's a few other music movies that I really enjoyed that are not on this list:

    1. Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage
    2. Anvil: The Story of Anvil
    3. Foo Fighters: Back and Forth
    4. This Might Get Loud
    5. Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

    I've also heard really good things about 'Sound City' (about Sound City studio and the Neve board that was used to record Nirvana's 'Nevermind' and Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumors').

    eh there was a Foo Fighters Move, how did I not know about this (goes in to melt down) when where can I get it??????please help??
    PRS SE Custom 24 in Royal Blue
    Fender Mustang III V2
    Fender Squier Telecaster in Butterscotch Blond
    Stagg Electro Acoustic

  15. #35
    Pincher of Harmonics Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon van derlim View Post
    eh there was a Foo Fighters Move, how did I not know about this (goes in to melt down) when where can I get it??????please help??
    Yeah, it's not really what I would consider a "movie" either, but a darn good documentary. Basically it documents the band's history from Nirvana, and goes through all of the hirings and firings of past members. It's told mainly from the perspective of Grohl, who is quite entertaining to listen to. Definitely check it out.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853563/
    Various retailers have it for pretty cheap on the google site.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

  16. #36
    Senior Member frankb56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    300
    For me, it's the Last Waltz....so many great artists...does that count as a music movie?
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/



  17. #37
    Member Jon van derlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Devon UK
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yeah, it's not really what I would consider a "movie" either, but a darn good documentary. Basically it documents the band's history from Nirvana, and goes through all of the hirings and firings of past members. It's told mainly from the perspective of Grohl, who is quite entertaining to listen to. Definitely check it out.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853563/
    Various retailers have it for pretty cheap on the google site.
    thanks, I had a look and it was only available in NTSC format so I need to check if our player and TV can play NTSC formats.

    Thanks again.
    PRS SE Custom 24 in Royal Blue
    Fender Mustang III V2
    Fender Squier Telecaster in Butterscotch Blond
    Stagg Electro Acoustic

  18. #38
    Junior Member ezkahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon van derlim View Post
    thanks, I had a look and it was only available in NTSC format so I need to check if our player and TV can play NTSC formats.

    Thanks again.

    Your computer DVD drive should be able to play both PAL & NTSC disks. I order a lot from Lick Library in Jolly ole England and the format is always the 'wrong' one but it plays on my PC (they probably drive on the wrong side of the road too). Netflix has the Foo Fighters DVD (not available for streaming.) Speaking of Netflix - I just watched "QUEEN: Rock Montreal" on Netflix Streaming. Even though they were in Canada (grin) it's still excellent!
    __________________________________________
    Fender Standard Stratocaster, PRS CE24, PRS SE Santana, Carvin Custom DC127, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Ovation Balladear
    Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special w/12" ext cab, Egnater Tweaker 15

  19. #39
    Vamanos Pest QueenCityGuitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    It Might Get Loud is good too, but not really a "movie."
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yeah, it's not really what I would consider a "movie" either, but a darn good documentary.
    I think a cast of characters and a narrative arc (exposition, conflict, climax, and resolution) makes something a movie. By definition, everything listed in this thread is a "movie" whether it's fiction, partial fiction, or a documentary. As a musician, I would much rather watch 'It Might Get Loud' or 'Back and Forth' than 'Purple Rain' or 'Almost Famous'. Personally, I don't need fictional characters or a manufactured plot.

    mov·ie /ˈmo͞ovē
    Noun
    1. A sequence of photographs projected onto a screen with sufficient rapidity as to create the illusion of motion and continuity.
    2. A connected cinematic narrative represented in this form.

    All that being said, your avatar is spot-on!

  20. #40
    deus ex machina
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    388
    As far as rock documentaries go, "Gimme Shelter" is a classic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •