Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports Fans - are you...

Sports Fans - are you...

a rabid fan? How INTO your teams games do you get? Are you yelling at the TV? Swatting the bowl of pretzels off the coffee table? Throwing chairs like Bobby Knight?

I've mellowed a bit over the years, but I still enjoy yelling at the team once in awhile. Depends on my expectations for the given game, I think.

Not a rabid fan, but I'm very into my teams. I'm a realist when it comes to my teams, so I don't get too frustrated when they don't win the games they aren't supposed to win. What bothers me is when players make silly mistakes or when coaches make poor decisions....now THAT gets me yelling.
    Too many and never enough...

This hangs in my kitchen. I think its going to have to bring a whole lot of luck this season, though!

Not in the slightest. I do know STL has done well in baseball recently.
    Plank Owner

I do get mad when my teams lose to someone they SHOULD beat. The silly mental errors bother me most, more so than the physical ones. Feel free to add any crazy superstitions or rituals you might have too! I always drink from my teams coffee mug on game day. College football - I always drink red beer on game day for my Badgers. Must be brewed in state, lol.

I listen to a lot of women's tennis, does that count?

I do love NFL football and thankfully the Ravens didn't lose the Superbowl. Other than that I like to watch soccer. And oh yeah, I try not to be too big of an A-hole when it comes to smack talking.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I listen to a lot of women's tennis, does that count?
    Only if you listen with your eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I do love NFL football and thankfully the Ravens didn't lose the Superbowl. Other than that I like to watch soccer. And oh yeah, I try not to be too big of an A-hole when it comes to smack talking.
    Yeah - I talk a bunch of smack either, I never have that much confidence that my teams won't prove me wrong

I grew up playing baseball, and I've been a Chicago Cubs fan since I was a kid. Let's just say that I'm used to sports disappointment at this point.

I can't stand the NFL or NBA. I'm a passive Pittsburgh Penguins fan; I don't really follow the NHL very closely, but I've liked the Pens since the days of Super Mario when I was a kid.

My true passion comes out when we talk about my alma mater. I'm a die-hard Penn State fan and proud alumnus...and not just for football, either. I'm a huge fan of the volleyball, fencing, wrestling and hockey programs at PSU as well. Though come 2014, it sure will be nice to have a "home game" half an hour away at UMD.

DGT Club Vice President
    I love hockey. I can't talk sports, but I love watching hockey and have a Caps jersey.

mgd

DGTs

I catch myself yelling a lot during Packer games. I am definitely obsessed with Roger Federer though. Got tons of things signed by him when I went to a tennis tournament in Cincinnati.

I can get rather excitable watching my teams...
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

I'm more like Boxstop7; I love my alma mater, Michigan, and follow its sports teams. I also participate in University activities, guest lecture there at times, etc.

Maybe one feels a more intense interest in one's college because simply applying, getting in, going to the school and becoming a member of a college community is a big deal for a young person. And there's that whole thing of it being a great time in a person's life.

In any case, I have comparatively little interest in pro sports teams.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I'm a huge hockey fan, although I've toned down the emotional reactions. I've been watching the Penguins since at least 1972 (my earliest hockey memory is a long story - but funny now). Even had season tickets for a period during the Lemieux years (don't know if you saw him in person, Mike, but it was magical).

I've lost quite a bit of interest in baseball due to the financials of the game and the fact that the Pirates haven't had a winning season since the year my daughter was born. I remember in the early 70s, they talked about the 1960 Bucs and that being the first World Series appearance for the team in 33 years and making it sound like an eternity. If they would make it this year, it's 34 years since the last time.

I'll watch football, but I can't get passionate about it. I referee travel soccer during the spring and fall, and I find I have no desire to record football games and watch them again.

On the other hand, I have a bunch of hockey games on tape, including the entire 1991 playoff run for the Penguins.

And this week, my son and I will be attending our third Frozen Four - the NCAA hockey championships.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

It's interesting, I was never a big college sports fan growing up but my "wife's" family are die-hard Badger fans. After going to my 1st football game, I was hooked. Her father ruined me Mostly football and b-ball. I've always liked the Packers, though there were a few years where I kind lost interest in the NFL completely and stopped watching. As a kid, my parents watched the Brewers a lot. I was into it in the "glory days" of Robin Yount, but lost interest after that. Now I have a hard time watching MLB unless its in a group setting or I want to take a nap, I get bored with it fairly quick.

I think it's really about the bonding with family a lot now that makes me enjoy it so much now. It's a lot more fun being happy and also complaining and yelling with family over games.

Well, I've seen my Devils win two out of 3 Stanley Cups in person. I've also had some type of season ticket package from 1982 up until they moved to Newark (that's a whole other story ).
    I met my wife at a game and my son went to his first game when he was 3 months old.
    So, yes, I do enjoy (lilke a lunatic) my Devils.
    Not like the other kids...

I'm more of a college sports fan than pro. This years ncaa championship game was great. I'm a purdue fan through and through although it's not easy. LOL. But a hockey game on, especially the blackhawks, and i morph into some insane goof. The speed, finesse and skill that nhl hockey deliveries is comparable to no other sport, imho.
    Sometimes in life you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Dave

Big time sport fan. Yanks, Jets, Devils, Nets and GOLF are my thing (Phil Mickelson fan). In my opinion the two biggest outlets in life are sports and music (or the arts). I got into playing music again (after about a 20 year hiatus) because of a knee injury that keeps me from playing sports. I think I would be in a straight jacket if it were not for sports and music.
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

I must admit to being a Notre Dame Fanatic. I used to hold season Basketball tickets (3-1/2 hr drive each way). I've been to many Football games. Lou Holtz will always be a heroe to me. Digger Phelps............. not so much. I went to Miami to watch the Football team take a drubbing in the National Championship game. I flew out west to watch them play in a Basketball Regional Championship a few years back. To top it off............................................... . My son (Adrian David) is named after former all american Basketball player Adrian Dantley.

I once went to see ND play Pitt in Football. ND was ahead something like 52-6 with 2 minutes to play & my Wife wanted to leave. I said: "F *ck No, We might score again"
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Big football fan!

Originally from Blackburn, so Blackburn Rovers is my main team. Used to watch them all the time when I was a kid and lived there. My girlfriend supports Manchester United and is probably a bigger lover of football than I am. Life is 'quieter' if I lend her team my 'support'! Other than that i'm a fairly big Formula One fan but it's lost some of it's spark since it got overly 'safe'.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues