Thread: Machined Pickup Rings for PRS SingleCut Trem

Machined Pickup Rings for PRS SingleCut Trem

So I recently bought a Paul Reed Smith Singlecut Trem SE, and while I am very pleased with the guitar itself, I ordered it from Musicians friend and, while the picture showed the guitar with much accoutrement, i.e. Ivory pickup rings, etc. I the one I received seemed to be the basic one with just black pickup rings, etc.

Anyway so I ordered a set of ivory pickup rings cause I really liked the look, but the ones I got were not exact duplicates of the rings on the guitar (except in ivory, OFC), which was unexpected. I put them on anyway and they were okay, but the fit wasn't perfect and I just wasn't completely satisfied with them. So, to remedy this, I machined a set of rings (based on the original, black, rings I got with the guitar) out of aluminum.

I've attached a picture of the final result below, I think they are wonderful.

Tomorrow or something I'll upload the machine drawings of the rings so that anyone who wants can machine a set of their own, or have them CNC'ed, or even 3D printed.

http://i41.tinypic.com/17fr0j.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/sengwj.jpg

Very cool.

Those look bangin'!

If you rounded those corners and counter-sunk the screws I'd bet you could sell a pile of those. Especially since its so easy to anodize aluminum different colors.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    If you rounded those corners and counter-sunk the screws I'd bet you could sell a pile of those. Especially since its so easy to anodize aluminum different colors.
    +1 nice job!

Those are really cool!
    Not like the other kids...

Stew Mac and All Parts sell metal rings. We used a set on the Nashville flood guitar featured on the Gearz TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post

The four corner screws are counter-sunk, about to the same level as they were on the originals. Also, yeah, it wasn't until I actually put the rings on the guitar that I realized I should have rounded the corners a bit more, and now I just don't want to take them off.

But yes, you are 100% correct, especially about the anodizing.

Anyway thanks for the compliments. Sometime I'll get around to uploading the drawing.