Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colors Matter?

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    A lot of this isn't our fault, we are conditioned to think some colors are for certain guitars, and certain guitars are for certain musical genres.

Ever notice that if a guitar is meant to sound "Fender-y" the manufacturer paints it with a tri-tone burst? Same goes for a sunburst and "Gibsonesque" guitars.... PRS does it too.
    never gave much thought about that until you mentioned it! PRS also exclusively offer those special inlays and flashy maple tops, until one point where you don't really see a lot of plain top Private Stocks floating around! Even the core models are mostly flamed top. and from then on, no matter which manufacturer or luthier-made, all guitars with exotic flame tops and (probably) natural bindings are labelled as ripping off PRS's design.
    Last edited by maxtuna26; 04-12-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    My first 'proper' guitar was white, a '76 Fender Bronco, so after that quite a few were white. Since then I haven't really been bothered, if I like what the guitar does it's colour doesn't matter so much. Of course when I have the $$ there will definitely be something flamed with birds, hopefully in a charcoal burst!
    the $$ are all that matters! i know playability and tone comes first, but when you wanted to order guitars online, you can't know for sure :/ i might be getting a 2nd SE soon to get rid of GAS (and also, as a backup guitar), and although i've heard good things about the SE Tremonti and the Mahoney, have been pleased with all the PRS SE's that i've tried, but i never had the chance to try out those two models. So it's pretty much a "what appeals to your eyes most" thing, spec-wise and appearance-wise. That's where the problem kicks in. I like both and I'm okay with the shapes and everything in the specs. I'm only in dilemma about the color, haha.. and no, I can't get both. And so, I'm pretty much stereotyping both guitar's color to genres to compare. And the worse thing? My musical tastes sit right between the genres the two guitars (in my own opinion) represent.

I'm always attracted to Blue guitars...like a bug to a bug zapper.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tiboy View Post
    Only middle school kids took them seriously at first. How things change.

Things didn't change. All of we middle schoolers are now middle agers- like Kiss themselves.
    63 years (August 25, 1949)
    Gene Simmons, Age

Thx Man ... I'm not even middle aged yet ... feel much better .

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    It matters a little bit to me certainly.

Being the visual creatures we are then the first thing I notice is how it looks and that may attract me enough to pull that one off the wall over another at the shop, but...

It's the quality, playability, tone, price, etc, that matter most with the looks and certainly colour being right down the list. I'd love a blue guitar but in all these years of playing I've never owned one simply because I haven't found one that ticks all those other boxes first.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    It matters a little bit to me certainly.

Being the visual creatures we are then the first thing I notice is how it looks and that may attract me enough to pull that one off the wall over another at the shop, but...

It's the quality, playability, tone, price, etc, that matter most with the looks and certainly colour being right down the list. I'd love a blue guitar but in all these years of playing I've never owned one simply because I haven't found one that ticks all those other boxes first.
    blue guitars definitely look cool i'd like to grab a blue crab HBII or Cu24 if i can afford it :/