Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Sauce

Hot Sauce

I really enjoy hot sauce that adds flavor, not just heat, to a dish. I prefer Mexican-stye hot sauce such as Tapatio and Melinda's.

Any suggestions for a good flavorful sauce?

I like it HOT! Here are my staples.

- Sriracha in Asian food (and Ketchup for your fries)
    - Tabasco on your southern food, raw oysters, eggs, etc. (a Bloody Mary Requirement)
    - Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning on just about anything that needs salt AND heat
    - Aji Amarillo Chiles (ground) on pasta/lasagna with tomato sauce
    - Chimaya Chiles (ground) for tex-mex

And sometimes, like this morning, straight Cayenne (Red) Pepper is all I need. Although... roasted Jalapeno's with salt...
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©; 04-13-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    One Life

I'm in the midst of a Sriracha kick right now.
    I put that #!%* on everything! Deviled eggs after Easter, pizza, chips, hamburger helper... anything. Thought about putting it on carrot cake last night, but I refrained. Still think it might work without the icing though.
    Unfortunately, the new Lays Sriracha chips just don't taste the same as doing it yourself.

TRUST ME!!!!! " ASS KICKIN " BRAND HOT SAUCE!!!! I am a chile-head, and consider myself an expert. This is one of my absolute favorites. Not too hot.....JUST RIGHT!

I do the Sriracha if I want spicy. Lately, I've been using the Tobasco Chipotle variety if I want mild heat, but a smokier flavor...sometimes, I prefer it to salsa on chips.
    Too many and never enough...

I too am a fan of hot flavors but I don't get along with the vinigars thay add in sauces. My solution is to dry Habineros and grind them up seeds and all in a coffee grinder (can no longer be used for coffee), and put the powder in a shaker bottle. Just tap a little out on everything I want. Dried Habies have a woody flavor that is just wondrful.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I am a big fan of Tobasco.

Franks Red Hot is really good on Eggs as well.

Cheese Dip for Nacha Chip: 1 lb Hamburger (browned & drained), 2 can Campbells cheadr cheese soup, & 1 jar od Pace picante sauce (Hot). Do not add picante until cheese has melted down a bit in the Hamburger.
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

You guys are making me hungry.

I have Tapatio and Cholula in the house now.

Lived in India for a time as a kid - I love a good hot curry

Tabasco Jalapeño...the green stuff. It's great.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I really enjoy hot sauce that adds flavor, not just heat, to a dish. I prefer Mexican-stye hot sauce such as Tapatio and Melinda's.

Any suggestions for a good flavorful sauce?

Ive been on a diet so this has been saving my life with bland foods. Its smokey, has a small kick but a ton of flavor!
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Mad Anthony hot sauce is great if you like a complex sauce. It is incredible with everything...

Frank's Red Hot is my favorite "regular" sauce for eggs, red beans & rice etc...

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post

Ive been on a diet so this has been saving my life with bland foods. Its smokey, has a small kick but a ton of flavor!
    Yeah that's good stuff too.

I like Tiger Sauce pretty well. To me it's best on raw oysters or grilled shrimp, but I'm sure would be good on other things too.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...fr=yfp-t-100-s
    Last edited by Boogeyman; 04-14-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Famous Dave's Wilbur's Revenge sauce is my go to for BBQ - usually mixed with Devil's Spit.

At my local wing place, they have a sauce called Killers (formerly Carribean Killers). It's got a citrus flavor to it. Very good when it's made well.

For a chain place, I really like Buffalo Wild Wings Mango Habanero sauce. Flavor plus a slow burn.

For home cooking, I have a variety of habanero-based sauces that I use. But it has to have flavor - pure heat is just a no-no.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I much prefer Texas Pete over Tabasco
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Shawn- you've GOT to pick up some Cholula and try it!!. Any grocery store will have it. I grow my own peppers, make my own hot sauces, and am a bit of a "hot sauce snob" of sorts, and in my humble opinion for a common, easy-to-find hot sauce, you can't get better than Cholula. It has a wonderful, slightly thick consistency, has a buttery mouthfeel, is very well-balanced, and is comfortably hot but won't kill ya. It is my "go-to" hot sauce for nearly any food, and I always have it around. http://cholula.com/
    "You come around here with these... SOUL DESTROYERS... clad in some kinda paisley rittenou... I don't even know what rittenou means." -Greg Koch re: PRS amps

Quote Originally Posted by martysnarf View Post
    Shawn- you've GOT to pick up some Cholula and try it!!. Any grocery store will have it. I grow my own peppers, make my own hot sauces, and am a bit of a "hot sauce snob" of sorts, and in my humble opinion for a common, easy-to-find hot sauce, you can't get better than Cholula. It has a wonderful, slightly thick consistency, has a buttery mouthfeel, is very well-balanced, and is comfortably hot but won't kill ya. It is my "go-to" hot sauce for nearly any food, and I always have it around. http://cholula.com/
    +1
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Quote Originally Posted by martysnarf View Post
    He said "buttery mouthfeel"... Heh heh!

And Cholula is very tasty!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I'm a heat guy, so it's Dave's Total Insanity for me. Flavor is a Tabasco, or Famous Dave's thing. I kinda like the vinegar based ones, depending upon what I'm drinking with it. Vinegar=alcohol free.