Thread: NGD: Back to PRS with a 408 in Frost Blue Metallic!

NGD: Back to PRS with a 408 in Frost Blue Metallic!

Been a long time Gibson player but then started exploring PRS territory in the last couple of years: tried a Korina 24 (neck too slim), 25th SAS Narrowfield (shoulda kept it), SC250 (too heavy, tone wise), 25th Mira Soapbar (great tone, felt too light) and a McCarty Artist (uber-bling but too dark sounding) but none were quite right. Figured the Studio might be the model for me so dropped into my local store yesterday since they had a couple in. Unfortunately they didn't have the right combination of neck profile / colour for my liking.

So, whilst I was there, I decided to try the Frost Blue Metallic 408 they'd just got in - just for completeness, wasn't necessarily expecting too much, but it looked too cool not to try it out!

Didn't know much about this model but I clicked with it straight away:

- Thicker 'McCarty' style body which is a great weight (~7.5 lbs) and very comfortable
    - Pattern neck which is supremely comfortable
    - A slick action to absolutely die for
    - Plus that gorgeous V12 finish!

But what really blew me away was the pickups. Turns out they're made using the same wire, magnets, etc as the 57/08s ... so that's a very good start.

The extra-wide bridge humbucker gives some huge chunky tones and the narrower bridge humbucker keeps the bass focused - no muddiness at all. And then you get to the coil taps: as well as splitting the coils, they also add in additional turns on the remaining coil to keep the output up. So, you go from a vintage output 8k humbucker to a equally vintage output 6k single-coil. And you can 'mix and match' since there's a separate mini-toggle for each humbucker.

I found leaving the bridge pickup full and splitting the neck allowed for a great Hendrix neck single-coil tone, a fat AC/DC bridge rhythm tone and a slight Strat-esque 'quack' in the middle position. That'll do me for 90% of the time!! Splitting the bridge alone gives an almost P90 tone due to the oversized coils and the combined position with both split is even more Strat-like. I was seriously impressed and will be able to cover everything my band plays without compromising the 'right' tone or changing guitars.

So, needless to say, I pulled the trigger. Still got my good ol' P90 Firebird - which I shall enjoy playing at home - but this baby is my new #1 gig-meister:

2013 PRS 408 Standard Frost Blue Metallic | 2012 Gibson '61 Reissue SG | 2010 Gibson Firebird V w/BKP Nantucket P90s | 2008 Sewell Vintage Custom Stealth Tele | 2012 Jackson Ampworks Newcastle 30 Head / Dual-Ported 1x12 | 2007 Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker Reissue 2x12 Combo | 200x Epiphone Valve Senior 1x12 Combo | AnalogMan | Fulltone | ZVex | MXR | TC Electronic

Beautiful guitar, enjoy it! Love the 408 pickups myself.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

DGT Club Vice President
    What a great guitar! Love the color!

mgd

DGTs

Very nice.......................... i dig it!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

An excellent choice, if I do say so myself!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Very cool.

Great to get so many positive responses - wasn't sure how popular the plain colours are: so many insane flame tops on here!

Recovering from a burst eardrum at the moment but should be back jaming with the band towards the end of the month - can't wait to get the new 408 cranked up through my full rig alongside the rest of the guys!
    2013 PRS 408 Standard Frost Blue Metallic | 2012 Gibson '61 Reissue SG | 2010 Gibson Firebird V w/BKP Nantucket P90s | 2008 Sewell Vintage Custom Stealth Tele | 2012 Jackson Ampworks Newcastle 30 Head / Dual-Ported 1x12 | 2007 Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker Reissue 2x12 Combo | 200x Epiphone Valve Senior 1x12 Combo | AnalogMan | Fulltone | ZVex | MXR | TC Electronic

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Congrats, that's a great looking guitar!!!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing, I'm also thinking about getting a 408 here soon and your review helps my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by TAJ View Post
    Congrats!! Thanks for sharing, I'm also thinking about getting a 408 here soon and your review helps my decision.
    Cool - glad I could help!

For me, it seems to be the best blend of other PRS models I've had - and have liked - but have ultimately not quite been right. It's got the feel and playability of my old McCarty but the pickups - when split - have the clarity and 'chime' of the Narrowfields from my old SAS whilst still getting a huge crunch tone out of the bridge in humbucker mode.

Man, that EXACT guitar would be on a very short list of possible choices if something happened to my current guitars and I needed a new one fast.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Man, that's purty! Reminds me of Fender Ice Blue. Metallics do a great job of showing off the PRS curves.
    --Garrett--

Very nice.
    Glad you are enjoying it.

cool blue.

408's are great. Love this color. Congrats.
    Plank Owner