Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickup Recommendation for SE One Korina

Pickup Recommendation for SE One Korina

Hey gang, I took advantage of the deal on Musicians Friends and ordered a SE One Korina for $350. It's not here yet, but I'm already considering changing out the pickup. Therein lies my question. I seldom play with only the bridge pickup, unless I am playing lead in a live setting. Any pickup recommendations that would give me more of the traditional P90 Bass Pickup sound? Would it help at all to install a Bass P90 pickup? I realize the location of the pickups has a big factor in how it will sound.

I got the email about that this morning, and considered buying one. I decided I didn't need another so I passed.
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO

Quote Originally Posted by PRSHB2 View Post
    I seldom play with only the bridge pickup, unless I am playing lead in a live setting... I realize the location of the pickups has a big factor in how it will sound.
    Exactly. No matter what pickup you put in there, it will never sound like a neck pickup. You could get a neck pickup installed, sure! But it would likely cost as much as the entire guitar unless it's DIY. Or, you could resell it or return it, or just embrace the guitar for what it is, a one bridge pickup rock machine, meant to be rocked in the most rocking fashion.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I will for sure try the stock pickup and see if it will work for me. I figure for $350 I can't go wrong. I'd bet that with some tweaking on my amp it will be just fine. Just thinking out loud.

Pics seem to have disappeared, but here's your solution!

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...MF-Version-3-0

I have never wanted to copy anyone else's guitar before, but this is the bomb!

Route that sucka!

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Pics seem to have disappeared, but here's your solution!

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...MF-Version-3-0

I have never wanted to copy anyone else's guitar before, but this is the bomb!
    Looks like a very fun project, too spendy for me though.

After watching this I think it's going to be just fine as is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0VayxXxMs0

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Give the Lollar Overwound P90 a look. It's much deeper and smoother sounding than any other "regular" P90s I've ever played. Nice warm and fat sound...

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Sinner View Post
    Give the Lollar Overwound P90 a look. It's much deeper and smoother sounding than any other "regular" P90s I've ever played. Nice warm and fat sound...
    Much appreciated. Good to know there's some viable options out there.

Personally, I decided to keep my One completely stock other than the strap locks.
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO

I will for sure install strap locks and locking tuners. Beyond that, who knows.

Best P90 I've had is a Bare Knuckle Nantucket: had one in an old Epi LP Jr which rocked and I currently have three of 'em in my Firebird.

As for the 'bass pickup sound' - what about fitting a push/pull volume pot to kick in a Fender Esquire/Tele style treble-roll-off circuit? No idea what caps/resistors would be needed but I'm sure a decent tech coud sort it out?
    2013 PRS Paul's Guitar, Copper Flame
    2009 PRS McCarty II, Tobacco Sunburst
    2014 Tone King Majesty 45 Head + 2x12 Cab
    Fulltone | MXR | TC Electronic | ZVex

I must be weird. I love the stock P-90 in my hof SE One.
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    I must be weird. I love the stock P-90 in my hof SE One.
    I'm with you Dane. I have two SE's with Soapbar pups and i left them both stock. They sound perfect to my ears.

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Hmmmm, I bought mine with the Lollar installed but the original was included.... Maybe I should throw the stock one in and see how it compares....

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I'm with you Dane. I have two SE's with Soapbar pups and i left them both stock. They sound perfect to my ears.
    I think I know what guitar I am going to play at lunch time today....
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

I ordered a One Korina from the MF stupid deal, and I am very pleased. I had to raise the bridge just a hair to kill the fret buzz, but otherwise, it was good to go. For me, it is a superb "basic" electric guitar sound. It does a good Mick Ronson kind of vibe for rhythm. Does a good tearing lead in a Marshall. It really doesn't have the right depth to do a good blues thang, but for what it does, it does really well. I think I will leave mine stock. It has more "bark" for leads than humbuckers, which I like. I get the full spectrum from the stock pickup. Not touching mine.
    Fender Stratocasters, Fender Telecaster, Gibson Les Pauls, Fender Jazz Bass, Ibanez acoustic, Epi acoustic, Guild Acoustic, PRS One Korina
    Marshall, Top Hat, Crate, Epiphone, and Fender amps. More crap than you can shake a stick at...

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©'s Avatar
    Have I mentioned how much I like the SE One?

Today?
    One Life

The stock pickups are pretty honky, very nice midrange there in the SE Custom Semi-Hollow Soapbar I've tried and I'd imagine it's going to sound very close to the SE One, except with less sustain and more air. I think they're pretty good, even though they're not my stuff, I'm a humbucker guy :P they feel just like a singlecoil with humbucker midrange, fat and cutting. Turning down the tone pot definitely warmed up the bridge tone to give a very nice woman tone, I'd say it sounds even nicer than the neck pickup with the tone control at 10.

Have you considered about adding a tone pot? you could then leave the tone pot at around 5 to get a darker tone as a substitute for the neck pickup. It won't be quite the same, but it'll get you halfway there.

Maybe John Beef could chime in on whether the small volume pot cavity is big enough to add a tone pot I've seen his SE One project, and I really hope PRS comes up with an awesome SE like his If the cavity is not big enough, the OP might have to route and drill the cavity a la LP Junior or use a push-pull pot wired as volume control and when pulled up, as a tone control.
    Last edited by maxtuna26; 04-19-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©'s Avatar
    Yes, the stock route will accommodate a tone pot.
    One Life