Thread: My Son's Mixing The VyRT Broadcast of 30STM at the Hollywood Bowl Tonight

My Son's Mixing The VyRT Broadcast of 30STM at the Hollywood Bowl Tonight

Lots of folks know through my earlier posts here that my son Jamie has been on tour with 30 Seconds to Mars. He's worn a lot of hats on the tour, from mixing simulcasts for TV and radio, to performing live with them at acoustic shows and on radio.

Tonight they're playing the Hollywood Bowl at 9 PST, and he's mixing that show for the live broadcast, which is being streamed by Vyrt.com. If there are any Mars fans here, it should be a fun night!

And of course, I get to be all proud of my kid's professional broadcast work.

You can sign up to watch the show at Vyrt.com if you're so inclined. The band puts on superb shows.

As I've mentioned before, he was the engineer on the record, and also mixed nearly half of it, which is unusual. Most of the time, the whole record goes to outside mixers.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 10-12-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Very Cool!
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

That's very cool, Les. You have very rig to play the Proud Papa with all his success. I'll look for the concert when I'm back home.

Awesome stuff. Nice to see he's so connected to the band he's working with.
    Plank Owner

Bangin'!

The fun part is that Jamie asked me to text him from my studio as to how the mix was going during the show as I watched and listened. He said it would be good to have another set of ears on it.

So through the miracle of modern electronics, I'm watching the show in my studio in Michigan, he's backstage in the mix room at the Hollywood Bowl, and we're texting back and forth about how things are sounding as it's broadcast.

The show went great from both the artist and mix perspective, and it was a lot of fun to be a remote participant!

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Awesome stuff. Nice to see he's so connected to the band he's working with.
    He really has become close with the band. Jared has been an especially great mentor.

He assisted on "This is War" right out of college, and then when they finished the record, he was asked to tour with the opening act, playing keys and guitar. When the US leg of the tour ended, they wanted to start working on the new record, "Love Lust Faith & Dreams", so he joined the European leg of the "This Is War" tour.

When they started work in the studio on the new record upon their return, he was asked to stay on as the recording engineer. Then he did this year's US pre-tour, and the European tour. Plus he was music director on the Artifact film, and has mixed all the song videos.

That's a lot of work and time spent with these guys!
    Last edited by LSchefman; 10-13-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson