Thread: Washcloth in space

Washcloth in space

For those who haven't seen this yet. The surface tension of water in zero gravity

This is so cool. He has the ultimate mike stand...just let go of the mike and it sits there. I met an astronaut once and he told me that one of the strangest things about going into space was that when he returned to Earth he would put things out in front of him and they would fall to the ground. He spent several weeks on the Mir space station and he was used to using things like pens, note pads, computers etc. and just placing them out in front of him. And they would stay floating out in front of him until he needed them. It's amazing how fast you can get used to something. Thanks for sharing this.

Awesome! Would not have expected that. Looks like they have all kinds of neat videos.

The wife sent me that. Space is awesome!!!

Ok so if an astronaut had a PRS guitar and strummed a chord would the chord just float in front of the guitar or propel out into space for all aliens to here? I'm just wondering. HAHA
    2012 SE Custom 24

Wild! Thanks for sharing.
    Sh*tter's full

That's a great point. If he had a guitar in space and strummed a chord it should sustain way longer than on earth. Right?
    I guess there is still air friction, I wonder what effect no gravity has on string vibration. I'm going to have to check on that.....

Ok, after a little research I found in an interesting experiment. Here is is:

Name(s)
    Stewart H. Wirick
    Project Number
    J1917
    Project Title
    Will a Guitar String Vibrate Forever in the Vacuum of Space?
    Objectives/Goals
    Abstract
    Of the three factors that stop a guitar string from vibrating, air resistance, absorption by the guitar, and absorption by the strings, the purpose of my experiment is to determine the importance of air resistance. My hypothesis is that in a vacuum, a guitar string will vibrate much longer than in regular air conditions.
    Methods/Materials
    I built a vacuum chamber and special electric guitar that fit into the chamber. The design of my experiment was first to pluck a thick guitar string, and a thin guitar string under normal air conditions, and measure how long the string vibrated by connecting the guitar pickup to a computer. I then created a vacuum in the chamber, and plucked again, measuring how long the string vibrated.
    Results
    Large Diameter String: 72 to 77% longer vibrations in a vacuum than normal air
    Small Diameter String: 30% to -5% longer vibrations in a vacuum than normal air
    Conclusions/Discussion
    The result of my experiment is that the smaller diameter guitar string vibrated about the same in a vacuum than in normal air pressure, however the thick diameter string did not. The smaller string was not affected nearly as much by air resistance, and thus acted almost the same in a vacuum. However, since the thick string has more air resistance, it was affected greatly when in a vacuum, and vibrated 77% longer. This proves my hypothesis correct, that a guitar string will vibrate longer in a vacuum than in regular air conditions. In conclusion, of the three factors that stop a guitar string from vibrating, air resistance, absorption by the guitar, and absorption by the strings, air resistance is a very significant factor for thick strings.

After reading this I concluded that if I was an Apollo astronaut I would have taken my Custom 24 to the instead of a golf club. Now that would have been cool.
    Last edited by kukumba; 04-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Wow that was cool!
    -Bob

Very cool!! Thanks Shawn!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

I want to go zero gravity.
    "Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

That was awesome!

very cool! thanks, shawn!
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

I can't wait to show this to my munchkin. Thanks for sharing.
    One Life

The profound impact on physics, this gravity thing has, eh? The equations for calculating these experiment results make little logical sense when you take the constant of gravity out. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand equations. Thanks for sharing!

You know, in the future, when we are living in space, and artificial gravity is standard. They had better keep one playground that is zero G.

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    In space no one can hear your mistakes...

Quote Originally Posted by kukumba View Post
    That's a great point. If he had a guitar in space and strummed a chord it should sustain way longer than on earth. Right?
    I guess there is still air friction, I wonder what effect no gravity has on string vibration. I'm going to have to check on that.....
    I would think the only resistance would come from the pickup magnets, but an acoustic might out sustain Nigel Tufnell's guitar.