Thread: Advice needed - PRS HFS/VB vs. tremonti vs. 59/09

Advice needed - PRS HFS/VB vs. tremonti vs. 59/09

Hey folks.
    I love the HFS/vintage on my CU24, but I'm curious as to how they compare to other pickups from PRS.
    How's the tremonti, are they like higher output, "metal" version of the HFS? I definitely hear similarities between my tone using HFS and mark's tone in his latest album.
    From information I gather, the 59/09s are described as hot PAF, are they any good for saturated metal chugging?
    Also, I'm very curious, what makes the 57/08 and 59/09 so coveted by players? What qualities do they have?

Many love them for the reason you mentioned....they're like warmed up PAF's, the 59/09 being the hotter of the two in the bridge at least. I'm one of the seeming few that never heard their magic though, and I've tried/owned them in many PRS models including a Cu24. However, I LOVE the 53/10's which are more akin to a slightly underwound PAF, so as with so many similar variables, YMMV. BTW, like you, I adore the HFS/VB in my Cu24 and would never dream of changing anything in that guitar.

59/09s are a very different animal than Tremontis in my opinion. That said I think the 5909s in your CU24 would be pretty great. Had them in my CE24, replaced the stock VB/HFS which I really liked and never looked back. I think you could cover most metal with a 5909 loaded CU24.

For the record, I replaced a Tremonti bass with a 5310 bass in my SC and I loved it. Smooth and rich tone but again vintage tone and very different from the Tremonti.
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

I feel like the 5909's are hot PAF's. Tremonti, to me, is the ultimate high output pick up. Has punch and definition, things that you can find very easy in high out put pick ups. HFS/VB are not the kind of pick ups I like. NEver spent much time with those, but couldn't find a sound I am comfort with. Saying that, my favorite rock/hard rock pick up combo is the Tremonti bridge with a 5909 on the neck. heaven on earth

I've just put a 59/09 in the neck and Dragon I I in the bridge of my CU24 & absolutely love it. I also have the Navarro model with HFS/VB. I find the 59/09 to have a deeper thicker tone than the VB & with more edge. You really hear it high up the neck. The VB has a more vintage spankier tone to me. I love the HFS - perfect for modern heavy/alternative rock. The Dragon II bridge is great for hard rock classic rock stuff & combined really well with the 59/09. I think the Tremonti bridge is as others have said the way to go for balls to the wall chunky metal rythms and then the neck is your choice. I would use the Tremonti treble and 59/09 or 57/08 bass for a more defined lead sound.

My take is that, Tremonti and HFS/VB will give you "that PRS sound" that PRS is famous for for years. It's that defining tone of contemporary/modern hard rock/metal from the 90s to today. For the 59/09 though, it's got some of the PRS flairs, but more akin to a classic humbucker sound. In fact, the 5X/0X pickups are all wound using machines used by Gibson to wind their pickups back in the late '50s. Somehow, Paul was able to get his hands on these legendary pickup winders.

My experience going back to 1991 was that I always wanted to swap out PRS humbucking pickups until they came out with the 5x/0x models. I think the latter are more toneful than anything that came earlier.

Then again, I don't play metal.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

To me, the Tremonti bridge sounds a little thicker and beefier, slightly darker than the HFS. But it doesn't clean up quite as well rolling off the volume knob. The 5909 isn't nearly as aggressive but still feels great and sits comfortably in the heavier rock genre. I tend to like the 5909 in SC guitars better because the mass of the guitar makes up for the less aggressive nature of the pickup. I'm liking the \m/ bridge pickup best for doublecut bodies...thick & massive but somehow manages to clean up really well.