Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Opinion on Relic-ing Guitars?

Not my thing generally but if somebody else likes it? Why not? It's their money...

From time to time I'll see one I like - Some of the Nash Tele's are cool to me AND I wouldn't have to worry about Dinging it playing out!
    I don't mind used guitars that have a bump or two for just that reason - I can play them and not worry about them so much....I take care of my stuff and the first "bump" on something just kills me!

One of the things I really like about good relics is the "thin finish". It feels played in. They feel more alive in many cases.

My Cunetto Nocaster, the Mary Kaye Strat and the Danocaster "Keef" are prime examples.

A few forum members have played them and comment that they feel and sound just like a real vintage guitar...

Maybe I just got lucky...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

i guess the best way to relic a guitar is to finish it in satin and play it every single day for maybe a year, then it'll look like it's 10 years old i thought the V12 finish was done to simulate the finish and wear of antique guitars?

I'm against it. I like guitars that are really worn, but I do not like the ones that are new but made to look worn.
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Quote Originally Posted by studio66 View Post
    Relics....luv 'em personally.
    Its an aesthetic,to me,nothing more...I have several and they make me smile.I have several non reliced guitars that make me smile also.
    I'm not attempting to fool anyone or have anyone make assumptions about my guitars because they are ...my guitars....for me
    To me the relic option is right up there with gloss or satin...opaque or transparent..red or blue.....I will assume no one will assume my Goldtop DGT came from a gold tree
    Its a finish option or choice...if realism was the only goal there certainly wouldn't be any of the beautifully colored PRS guitars that we all love....as Guthrie Govan puts it they would all be "tree color"
    The relic'ing discussion always seems to be such a polarizing one and I don't really get it....there guitars....luv 'em all
    AMEN!
    -Bob

deus ex machina
    As an aging late Baby Boomer, I believe that the angst has a lot to do with the shear number of male Baby Boomers who purchased reliced "lifestyle" guitars and pretended to be guitarists instead of buying a Harley and running off with an eighteen year old. A lot of these guys purchased high-end PRS and Gibson guitars as well.

really dislike it!

to me its hideous.

It used to be that some guy on a stage with a super $$$ pretty guitar was assumed to be a "poser".

Now, its the guys with the fake relics that are.

Now if you actually do play good, and sound good, it doesn't matter what you play.

+1
    I dont like the intentionally distressed
    Only some of those goldtops and strats
    DOnt like the look of most

( now I'm thinking of chaining a strat to the truck and go cruisin !!!)

Quote Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
    to me its hideous.

It used to be that some guy on a stage with a super $$$ pretty guitar was assumed to be a "poser".

Now, its the guys with the fake relics that are.

Now if you actually do play good, and sound good, it doesn't matter what you play.

Pretty good fake, huh?

Last edited by FrankiePRS; 05-02-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Artist Endorser: PRS Guitars, VVT Amps, 2Tek Bridges, Eyeland Straps

Quote Originally Posted by Em7 View Post
    As an aging late Baby Boomer, I believe that the angst has a lot to do with the shear number of male Baby Boomers who purchased reliced "lifestyle" guitars and pretended to be guitarists instead of buying a Harley and running off with an eighteen year old.
    I'd buy a Harley to run off with a 48 year old at this point...
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I figure people should be allowed to spend their money on whatever they want no matter how dumb everyone else thinks it is.

That said, relic'ing is not something I would spend my money on. I can appreciate a worn guitar, even an artificially-aged one, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it. I like shiny, well-cared-for guitars.

I wouldn't expect relic'ing to be popular among PRS enthusiasts. Relics are essentially faux vintage.As a brand, PRS stands somewhat in defiance of the "vintage" market. If you like PRS, chances are you recognize their build quality as superior to that of vintage instruments in the first place.

To each his own I guess but I'm not a fan of relic guitars and I personally wouldn't pay more money for a guitar that's intentionally beat up.
    Jeff

I dont mind relic's on Fender .. not on PRS .. Just the thought of a reliced Arist Grade top makes me squirm.

Never been a fan of relic guitars. The money(man hours) spent defacing a new guitar would in my opinion be better served by instead upgrading the materials(wood, electronics or hardware) of the instrument.

Hate it!!!! Wouldn't do it if you paid me to!!!
    PRS Guitars Endorsee....White and Relic'd Ones !

Quote Originally Posted by FrankiePRS View Post
    Pretty good fake, huh?

Poser!!!!
    PRS Guitars Endorsee....White and Relic'd Ones !