Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SE Standard Upgrade

I've had a few guitars with Floyd Rose trems on them, but have found (for me) that they are more trouble than they are worth. Yes, once locked-in, ultra stable- getting them there, I can string and tune 4 or 5 guitars in the time it takes to get a Floyd Rose setup.

I've also been toying with the idea of getting an SE so I don't have to use my Anniversary edition McCarty for rehearsals and unsavory gig locales. I keep getting put off by what I read about the stability of these guitars however when compared to the price point. Anyone had a truly positive experience with SEs in a must-be-right environment?

Quote Originally Posted by madpharoah View Post
    I've had a few guitars with Floyd Rose trems on them, but have found (for me) that they are more trouble than they are worth. Yes, once locked-in, ultra stable- getting them there, I can string and tune 4 or 5 guitars in the time it takes to get a Floyd Rose setup.

I've also been toying with the idea of getting an SE so I don't have to use my Anniversary edition McCarty for rehearsals and unsavory gig locales. I keep getting put off by what I read about the stability of these guitars however when compared to the price point. Anyone had a truly positive experience with SEs in a must-be-right environment?
    I bought an SE Custom 24 a few months ago (see my avatar ). I don't use the trem, but I do bend the strings a fair bit and I don't have any problem keeping it in tune. It came strung with 9s which is what I prefer. The intonation is perfect - there's no problem with insufficient saddle travel to get to the correct break point for each string. Could the tuning be smoother and even more stable? I don't really know. I might get the Tusq nut down the road just to see, along with a set of Grover 406c locking tuners (they "drop in" on the SE), but it's perfectly usable as is - just as good as the Gibson and Fender I had previously.
    So many guitars So little money

Quote Originally Posted by madpharoah View Post
    Is your McCarty a trem model? Most are hardtails. If you were to get a hardtail SE model, I would expect you'd have zero tuning stability issues. Noresman's problems are uncommon, I've owned 5 SEs, all hardtails, and tuning stability is/was solid on all of them. I don't use a trem at all much less "ride the heck out of 'em" so it obviously depends on your playing style.

Norseman, maybe you're just using the trem outside of what it was designed for? Maybe Floyds are just your thing and you should stick with them? I don't know enough about trems to comment further.
    Last edited by John Beef; 05-02-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I recently upgraded my SE Singlecut with a pair of covered 59/09's. Those pickups are some of the best sounding pickups I have ever heard. I can get some massive tones out of my SE with those, from PAF to metal. You cannot go wrong with the 59/09's. I thought they were a bit pricey myself, but now they are worth every penny and more. I have a friend who I jam with. He had an 80's Gibson Les Paul and his tone was not where close to what my was. My two cents for today.
    SE Singlecut with 59/09's | G&L S-500 | Vox AC15CI