Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draining The Caps

I remember bangin' on the side of old tube TVs

I have read that it is not good to turn on a tube head with no cable running to the speaker cab.
    I always have a cable plugged to the cab from the head.
    What will happen, and will it hurt it every time if one forgets to have a cable in place?

deus ex machina
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    I remember bangin' on the side of old tube TVs

I have read that it is not good to turn on a tube head with no cable running to the speaker cab.
    I always have a cable plugged to the cab from the head.
    What will happen, and will it hurt it every time if one forgets to have a cable in place?
    It depends on amp wattage and how robustly an amp is built, but smoke followed by an expensive repair is the usual result of failing to plug a speaker load into the back of most gig-size tube amps. The speaker is part of the output circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Em7 View Post
    It's an outmoded tradition that was started by Leo Fender and copied by many other manufacturers. You and I are both old enough to remember tube-type consumer electronics. How many tube-type HI-FI amps or TVs in the fifties and sixties came with standby switches? How about "All American Five" tube-type table radios?
    When I was a little girl, car radios had tubes. You could crank them up and they'd distort like a guitar amp. One speaker in the middle of the dash, AM radio. The speakers were horrible sounding, and the combination of a crappy speaker and rock and roll song cranked to distortion? Perfection!

I also used rotary dial telephones, and rode in cars without seatbelts.

But now I'm an old, crotchety man and I use standby switches because I dig traditions that died before the world was born.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson