Thread: Tremonti SE, S2 Single cut, or SE Marty Freidman?

Tremonti SE, S2 Single cut, or SE Marty Freidman?

New to PRS & looking for an entry level. Price differential is not the greatest concern because of the free financing retailers are offering. I am a first time electric guitar purchaser but want something I won't grow out of too soon.

I prefer the single cut style on each of these but have to learn the advantages of the specs on each of these.

Thanks for your input.

Personally, for my first electric guitar i bought something cheap (sub $500). Once i got a little better AND learned more about the differences between guitars, then i went and got my "forever" guitar. What you think you like now could change once you've been playing awhile.

Of course, if you have the dough, i guess it's not a big deal.

The S2 seems nice enough that you might not ever "outgrow" it if/when you get better. That's not to say you won't want to try something else, but the S2 seems like a really nice guitar, and one I want myself. I've had the SE versions, and they were okay, some love them, but I found the pickups generic sounding, and it wouldn't stay in tune well. I should've replaced the nut, and inexpensive fix, but still. I would say of these choices, go with the S2, and a nice amp, and that will take you far.

Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
    The S2 seems nice enough that you might not ever "outgrow" it if/when you get better. That's not to say you won't want to try something else, but the S2 seems like a really nice guitar, and one I want myself. I've had the SE versions, and they were okay, some love them, but I found the pickups generic sounding, and it wouldn't stay in tune well. I should've replaced the nut, and inexpensive fix, but still. I would say of these choices, go with the S2, and a nice amp, and that will take you far.
    The info about the pickups & the nut was helpful and what I wanted to know. I'm leaning toward the S2 so your reply is a great help.

Thanks

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Twitch - +1 for S2 given the fact that you stated that the price differential is not a concern due to the financing.

I have products from all 3 PRS production lines - and while the SEs are phenomenal guitars, if you have the means, I feel the S2s are definitely a step up. The pickups, nut and tuners are the three things that most folks replace on the SEs. While pickups are quite subjective, the S2 Mira pickups are a notable step up from any SE pickup I have every heard, the S2 nut is a USA nut, and the S2 tuners are locking affairs similar to the Core Phase IIs. For the S2 SC and Mira, you get the Core bridge as well.

And while some have argued as to the wood used, by all accounts the S2 body / neck wood is the same quality (just smaller blanks) as the Core wood. The way PRS processes their wood in Maryland is one of the biggest differentiators, and contributors to tone and stability. Better quality, drier wood and thinner finish make the S2s IMO more stable and resonant than any SE I have every owned (and I have had MANY )

You may WANT to tinker with an S2 as you improve, but you probably won't feel like you NEED to...go for it!
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 HB II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Go with the S2 as you won't be just settling. The S2s aren't just a "good guitar for the money", the are just very good guitars.

I would go with the S2 based on the information provided. But you should probably play one or more of each model you are considering (or at least, a couple SEs and a couple S2s), just in case one or the other sings to you more than the rest...