Thread: Refret/Bigger Frets???

Refret/Bigger Frets???

So, I've really been enjoying the jumbo frets on my SE Akesson - I eat up frets fairly quickly and they have been holding up well for how much playing the axe has seen. However, it's caused me to feel a big difference in the frets on my strat - they feel like they're almost worn down to the board in comparison. Technically, the guitar doesn't NEED a refret, it holds tune fine and there aren't any dead spots, but I find it more difficult to play. Has anyone put on new frets for this reason? The originals weren't that beefy to start with, and after one leveling and dressing a few years ago, there's just not much left. Really like the guitar, but I know I'm not going to play it if I don't like the feel.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Not re-fretted a guitar yet but I will be re-fretting my Bernie later in the year. the frets on that are quite low and starting to wear - and I don't want them any lower - so a re-fret is my only option. Love the guitar so it's something I'm happy to do - although the cost isn't going to be pretty!

My main Strat has decent sized frets so it'll take a fret dress or two.

If the Strat means something to you then do it.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

If you want bigger frets on your strat go for it. Just remember you will probably need a new nut and a complete setup aswell which a luthier should do as part of a refret.
    I am not a luthier but i am in my own workshop.
    https://www.facebook.com/driffguitar

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carpincowboy View Post
    If you want bigger frets on your strat go for it. Just remember you will probably need a new nut and a complete setup aswell which a luthier should do as part of a refret.
    Ah yeah... Watch out for that. A few techs will name the price of the fret job but leave those details out. They may be able to re-use the nut but may as well get a new one on there whilst you're at it.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues