Thread: P22 Trem or HBII?

Hybrid View

P22 Trem or HBII?

Hey to all my guitarded buddies. I am in a quandary. I recently ordered a P22 Trem (Artist Pkg), but the Sam Ash near me just got in a HBII with a killer (non-10) top. I played it and it sounds and plays great!.

So the differences are Artist Pkg on the P22 Trem which includes the Braz. Board. vs the Std Flame top and back on the HBII.

My question to you all is, is there any reason that I should not go with the HBII and wait the 8-10 weeks for the P22?

Right now I am leaning towards the HBII.. but maybe you all will change that..

thanks in advance for your opinions..
    Jim
    ZebraPRS
    Guitars: 1989 PRS Custom; 1995 PRS Custom (24); 20?? PRS Custom 24 Custom Zebra Stripes, 2009 25th McCarty NF, 2014 Brushstroke 24, 2013 PRS HBII,
    Amps: PRS Original Sewell 50 watt #43 with Paisley 2x12 cab; PRS Pre-Prod 2 Channel C with 2x12 DB Cabinet, PRS Custom 10 watt head

I think the AP P22 would be stellar.
    Plank Owner

Both are great. Why didn't you order a HBII to start with? They have different neck carves. I assume you wanted a trem?
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Quote Originally Posted by wilerty View Post
    Both are great. Why didn't you order a HBII to start with? They have different neck carves. I assume you wanted a trem?
    I guess I was caught up in the Hype of a new model.. Actually, I have been after PRS to build a trem model with a Piezo, I was very excited. but now I am not sure.. I love the HBII for a lot of reasons..

I am thinking " A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush" The only thing I lose is the different sounds with the 5 way.
    ZebraPRS
    Guitars: 1989 PRS Custom; 1995 PRS Custom (24); 20?? PRS Custom 24 Custom Zebra Stripes, 2009 25th McCarty NF, 2014 Brushstroke 24, 2013 PRS HBII,
    Amps: PRS Original Sewell 50 watt #43 with Paisley 2x12 cab; PRS Pre-Prod 2 Channel C with 2x12 DB Cabinet, PRS Custom 10 watt head

2 different guitars IMO. Solid body trem vs hollow body fixed.

In other words, get both!

Older getting younger
    Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    2 different guitars IMO. Solid body trem vs hollow body fixed.

In other words, get both!
    I have to agree with this statement.
    PRS electrics and bass, Taylor BTO GS Cocobolo, K26e Koa, 2012 FLTD 412ce-N and GS mini mahogany acoustic guitars; Bad Cat Cub IIR, Carr Rambler, Fender Supersonic 22, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100, Loudbox Mini and Mark Bass amps
    In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.
    I was joeprs on BAM

when I bought my SCHB, I was looking for a guitar with a piezo. PRS didn't have any solid body with it at the time. so I was between the SCHB and a Music Man John Petrucci model. I've never liked hollow and semi hollow body guitars, but opted for the PRS.
    Long story short, I couldn't be happier. The SCHB is very a very versatile guitar and is the only one I bring in most of my gigs. It's that good. By the way, mine is not a AP nor a 10 top. But in the end is a matter of taste

Sounds to me like you've found a guitar you bonded with in the HBII. Consider the obvious.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Sounds to me like you've found a guitar you bonded with in the HBII. Consider the obvious.
    Thank you oh wise one!!! I may just do that..
    ZebraPRS

If you can't do both, decide if the electric side of either fills a hole. I have a P22 and a non-piezo SC HB that I want to send in for a piezo. I love both guitars for very different reasons.

Older getting younger
    I have a SCHB Std piezo, which was my no.1, now it's no.2 after my DGT Std. Two guitars that I will never sell. I play both of them more than any of my others, some of which will be going sometime.
    If you could play a P22, then you would know if it calls out to you like the HB or not. Sometimes, we just bond better with certain instruments than other for some reason.
    PRS electrics and bass, Taylor BTO GS Cocobolo, K26e Koa, 2012 FLTD 412ce-N and GS mini mahogany acoustic guitars; Bad Cat Cub IIR, Carr Rambler, Fender Supersonic 22, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100, Loudbox Mini and Mark Bass amps
    In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.
    I was joeprs on BAM

If the piezo thing turns out to be less than useful, you will still end up with a Hollowbody that you know is awesome. I vote HBII.

I was considering a P22, then I saw the HB II. For me, it's a no-brainer. The HB II is a stunning instrument.

I retrofitted a solid body electric with the LR Baggs piezo system, and I wasn't impressed with the results. I know it won't sound like an acoustic, but I never got anything close to the sounds I was hoping for. I think the hollow body guitars with a piezo sound a little closer to "acoustic". But that's just my opinion and my ear. I'd guarantee your ear is different.

At the end of the day, I'd have to throw support behind what Les said. It really sounds like you've found something with the HB II you played. I'd weigh that heavily. :-)
    Heh...check it out. Under my name, it says "member".

If the trem is not top on the list of priorities, the HB might be the way to go. Then again, you haven't played the p22 yet. In a perfect world it would be best to play both and decide...

I have played a P22 (Not Trem) they are nice.. But I am leaning toward the HBII the more I think about it..

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.. They are all very enlightening..
    ZebraPRS

I'm thinking about the physics of the piezo. The whole point is to near as possible add authentic acoustic sounds to an electric guitar.

My thinking (I could be dead wrong on this) is that the piezo will not just pick up the acoustic sounds of the strings, but of the vibrating bridge and the surrounding woods. I'm thinking that the P22 will be much stiffer than the HBII and therefore not add as much 'acoustiness'. (yeah, I just made that word up).

I have a goldtop HP spruce with Piezo and also a HBII with piezo - they both sound fantastic.

Disclaimer: I have never tried a P22, so all this may be false. Your milage may vary. Not for the other use.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance, but he's soooo missingpieces over them now!
    Lexicon sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

I have a HB II and I absolutely am in love with it. I have played a P22 and it is pretty stellar. The P22 does acoustic very very well and the 53/10's in the model I played were just STUPID good! That being said, I love the tone of my HB II and it could not be "replaced" by a P22...
    - Dane

He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.

i have both and they are different beasts.
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas}

Thanks all, I am picking up the HBII today.
    ZebraPRS

Quote Originally Posted by zebraprs View Post
    Thanks all, I am picking up the HBII today.
    I see my reverse psychology worked! Post some pictures when she lands. Congrats!
    Plank Owner