Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memories of The Official Porsche Forum

Hybrid View

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar

Memories of The Official Porsche Forum

At the end of 1937 I was a member of The Official Porsche Forum. It was shortly after the release of their low-cost line of cars, the Volkswagen (commonly referred to as the "VW line").

I drove the Volkswagen of course, but both the company and "mature" Porsche drivers were so fond of the VWs, that the Forum wasn't divided and all the drivers were hanging out together happily as equals.

The moderator staff did all kinds of fun things for us. For example, there was the "Forum rear view mirror", designed by the community and made exclusively for it. In the end, it didn't really have "Forum" written on it (not even "Porsche"), because we were afraid that if we'd ever get to take some chick for a ride, we would have to explain to her, that we're just a bunch of nerds, hanging out on the internet, talking about cars. And we really wanted to conceal that even though we were patting each other's back about how great and extraordinarily friendly our community was. I never got one, but it was a really nice custom rear view mirror nonetheless.

Then there was the "Forum car". It had to be top notch Porsche, so it was out of the table for all of us Volkswagen drivers, but we didn't care and just watched the bigger drivers trying to settle on the car's specifics (of course from time to time, there were some VW drivers that would call the others "rich elitist snobs" but you can't really call a Porsche driver "snob", or can you?). Despite all the expectations, they DID settle on those specifics and created a list for 25 (and no more) serious purchasers. Eventually, even more came, but the number of 25 was firm and everything you could do was to be put on the waiting list and hope someone of the original 25 would change his mind.

Some were outraged, some were offended by that outrage, some hate mail was exchanged…

…and then the World War II kicked in and I was disconnected from the internet. I still have the the playing card, hand signed by Ferdinand Porsche himself, and when I feel down, I look at it and remember those happy days when we weren't fighting each other.
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Although Porsche didn't run out of fun little projects during the war years; here's the 1943 Porsche model...

If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

You know what Porsche needs to make? One of these!

I mean think about it.... wait. what forum am I on? Whatever... at least I'm consistent.

Well told.
    I remember it well and still cannot understand what it is that lets some people destroy a beautiful moment.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Ahhhhh...

I remember those days.

Back then it was easier for Sergio to win the argument on blue vs other colour Porsche's and VW's. No matter how much I tried to show him how cool this new blue car was it always looked black and white. great days for those that liked black white or grey guitars but not for those who wanted a bit of colour.

Still, it's now the 21st century, so...

They agreed with me afterall!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post

They agreed with me afterall!
    Ugh, if there is anything worse than a blue guitar.....

BTW- The Porsche rear view mirror is still in the works, I just need the engineers at PRS to program the laser cutter, but they've been busy working on other projects. As soon as some time frees up, we will have a forum truss rod cover, I mean rear view mirror.

Ah, isn't peace a wonderful thing!
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    Oh the irony.....the one who started the fire is now posting videos of "Give peace a chance"... :facepalm:
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

A quick reminder to everyone... derogatory statements about race, creed, color, or sexual orientation will not be tolerated.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    A quick reminder to everyone... derogatory statements about race, creed, color, or sexual orientation will not be tolerated.
    How about derogatory statements about douche-baggery in general?
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    What about douce-baggery about derogatory statements?
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

A side not for those wondering: deleted posts (which shall remain deleted) can be seen by the moderators.
    One Life

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Now, now chaps!

I've found something that unites us all. We are all officially sexy beasts!

Yes, that's right. We are MORE attractive to the ladies than your sporty types. All you gotta do is carry a guitar!

So, rejoice in your sexiness whilst I create a new thread!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

I understand and identify with the frustration that has been expressed here.

Hans...I want to Publicly thank you, Shawn, PRS, and the members of this forum that positively contribute...for all of your combined efforts.

Overall I am disappointed by some of the activities and comments that i have read recently...it seems as if there is a minority here that in recent days (and come to think of it in days past) are driven to create controversy where there is none...and strife where it is not needed.

I believe everyone has a right to share their opinion....i would hope in a constructive way. I also think sometimes conversations should be taken off line to work out the details...and thoughts weighed before being made here publicly as opposed to what I have recently witnessed...which suggests not much thought at all...quite frankly for those who don't seem to realize it....it also keeps you from looking like a Dumbass. I want to see this community built up through positive discourse.

I ask that some of the members here try to take a new perspective on things...specifically try to make your time and contributions here more positive....why? Life is short...why not?

unfortuntely I am fairly confident this comment will be missed by those it is intended for.

Last edited by Dirty Bob; 05-07-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    unfortuntely I am fairly confident this comment will be missed by those it is intended for.

Not necessarily.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Les...I wasn't attacking you...and I thanked not only the mods but all those who positively contribute of which you are one...So I was also thanking you....

I am a fan of PRS products...a big one...and of the people behind the company...an even bigger one...there is a reason for that.

i don't always agree with everything that is done...and that's ok too...neither do you.
    -Bob

I am willing to beg, at this point, for some peace.

Please, gentlemen... please put down the battlements.
    One Life