Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COMBO AMP OR HEAD & CAB?

COMBO AMP OR HEAD & CAB?

Do you prefer a combo amp or an amp head with separate cabinet? I have both but lately when I leave my home I've been just using my small Egnater Tweaker head and 1-12 cab. It is so much easier to carry. In a lot of the photos that Forum Members post, I see several Carvin, Egnater and Bugera heads. Do you care if your cab is a different brand than your head?

I have a Mesa Boogie 1-12 combo amp with a matching 1-12 cabinet. The amp alone is 65 lbs and I live in an upstairs condo. I bought it when I got rid of my 212 Deville. Funny, the Mesa is about 5 lbs heavier than the 212 Deville. It is still small compared to other outfits. It seems when I was younger - Bigger was Better! What's your preference?

I found a bag for a drum kick pedal that fits my Egnater perfectly.

The last time we lived upstairs somewhere my wife bought a used Ampeg PR410HLF cabinet at 128 pounds. I had a truck to haul it around, but we did carry it upstairs a couple times.

Lessons learned: 1) do not live upstairs. 2) DO NOT live upstairs. That was two apartments and then two houses ago, none of the following had stairs.

She now has an Ampeg 8x10 instead @140 pounds.

Me, I play a 4x12 and head. I have tried 2x12s and combos and nothing works as well as the 4x12.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I prefer heads and cabs, so when I record, I can keep the head in the control room and stick the cab in a recording booth. I've used speaker cables as long as 35 feet with no audible degradation of the signal.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Combo. One trip into the club, one trip out.

Head and cab for me.
    Sh*tter's full

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    I always thought a separate head and cab looked cooler - particularly on stage. Beyond that I don't have much preference.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

I have both but like the smaller individual size of head/cab. I can almost get the head and a 1x12 in the 911. Almost.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    I have both but like the smaller individual size of head/cab. I can almost get the head and a 1x12 in the 911. Almost.
    Hey K, have a told you about my 3 channel, made in USA............................Oh never mind.
    Sh*tter's full

I lug this fancy pig around. 70 elbows. I do have a roadcase with wheels so...

Last edited by cjmwrx; 05-07-2013 at 08:22 PM.

I have a Mesa combo and a Egnater head with 2 1x12 cabs. I take the head and one cab when I play away from home. That damn Mesa is too damn heavy.
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY, SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, RANDALL DIAVLO RD20, RANDALL DIAVLO RD1, BLACKSTAR HTR1

Quote Originally Posted by cjmwrx View Post
    I lug this fancy pig around. 70 elbows. I do have a roadcase with wheels so...

Love it. More amp than anyone could possibly need.

PRS C on top of a Mesa 1x12 open back
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas}

Sold a twin...because it was so heavy. Fell in love with a Lonestar, stopped gigging it...because it's too heavy. Bought a Mark IV. LOVED it, but sold it...because it was to frickin' heavy. That amp changed my mind forever about a 1x12 being able to hold it's own. That speaker was truly amazing with ANY amp driving it.

I currently have several heads...including one USA made, three channel, with...never mind. I've got a couple great cabs (and a good hardwood one I built), and I rotate the heads with the cabs. I'm just as flippant with my amps as I am with my guitars, so I like being able to mix and match lots of options.

Older getting younger
    PRS 2 channel C on top of an Avatar 2 x 12 closed back with a G12H-30 and V30. This cab has never left the house. I have a Lopo 1 x 12 with a V30 to take out of the house. I'll only move the 2 x 12 if someone can help. It's 73 lbs and bulky. It sounds great though.
    PRS electrics and bass, Taylor BTO GS Cocobolo, K26e Koa, 2012 FLTD 412ce-N and GS mini mahogany acoustic guitars; Bad Cat Cub IIR, Carr Rambler, Fender Supersonic 22, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100, Loudbox Mini and Mark Bass amps
    In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.
    I was joeprs on BAM

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Combo for me--as small and light as I can get. Back in the early '70's I lugged a Twin Reverb around--they're still my favorite amp--but I can't lift one anymore (and I never really could--but back then the gigs were mostly house-band gigs, and I hardly had to move gear)! I'm currently using a Quilter MicroPro 200--200 watts, throttled down to drive an 8" heavy-duty speaker (it puts out about the same volume as a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but stays cleaner at higher volumes), weighs 21 lbs.; closer to 25 with the cover and footswitches. With access at some gigs being totally ridiculous (stairs? no parking within two blocks of the venue? HELP!!), it's no wonder I don't want to have to make 4-5 trips to and from the car!

Honestly, I like both. If I could only choose one or the other I would choose Head and Cab... just makes things easier down the road if you wanted to expand. That being said... I'm not sure I could live without my Mesa Dual Rec Half Stack and my Fender Blues DeVille 410 Combo.

I plan on getting a PRS CAD Head with a Stealth 212 Cab. Having different cabs (especially with different speaker combinations) is always a benefit when recording.
    Custom 22 Brazilian Limited (Emerald Green/Artist Package Quilt)| Custom 24 (Red Fire Burst/Quilted 10 Top)| Custom 24 (Autumn Sky) | P22 (Solana Burst)| Standard 22 (TriColor Burst)| McCarty Soapbar (Seafoam Green)| CE 22 (Vintage Yellow/3 piece 10 Top)| CE 22 (Whale Blue)| Mesa Dual Rectifier Half Stack| Fender Blues DeVille 410 (USA Made)| Fender Evil Twin (Snakeskin)| Peavey Classic 50 410| Gibson Northern Jumbo Limited

I only have heads and cabs currently, but I've been wanting a 1x12 combo. I don't gig out so it's more about size for a room. Sometimes a quarter or half stack is just too big.
    Plank Owner

North of the southern border, east of the western sea
    My recommendation?

Be.
    Do.
    Have.