Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: My Bernie w/53/10s

  1. #1
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    963

    My Bernie w/53/10s

    So I am playing the Bernie last night and I noticed that there is a noticeable difference in output between the neck and the bridge pups. So if I have just the bridge selected and get it where I like it and then switch to the neck, BOOM there is a big volume difference.

    My question is: Is that on purpose? Like if I keep the neck volume on about 7 and the bridge volume on 10, the volume is the same between the pups. So if I want some punch I just turn the volume to 10 on the neck...for solos and such? Is that how it should work?

    I have messed with pup height, but it isn't making much difference.

    I am not complaining. As long as I know they are working as they should I am totally cool with it.
    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

  2. #2
    Plank Spanker justmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Down under, down under
    Posts
    1,536
    There's no noticeable volume difference on my SE semi-hollow, but I only have one volume. Stock pots and caps?

  3. #3
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    963
    Sock pots and caps. I did install the mojo tone volume mod. But they were like that before the mojotone install.
    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

  4. #4
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,160
    Hey Dane, I had this when I had the two Mule pups installed. I think I had the neck right down level with the ring and the bridge as high as I could get it before that caused issues in itself.

    It's fairly common or at least I've heard about it enough times to gather there's nothing abnormal about it. There's more energy in the string around the neck pup so bridge pups are usually wound a bit hotter to compensate. Sometimes the settings on the amp and or pedals can accentuate this.

    My Bernie is better balanced with the pretty hot Suhr pup in the bridge and the Mule in the neck. Having said that, it wasn't the desire for balance that made me change it.

    Dane, do you have an iphone or something similar. I downloaded a sound level meter onto my girlfriends iphone to try and balance the pups and string balance. Not perfect but it may give you an idea if they're massively off.

    If your bridge pup sounds like it should sound - rather than hollow or weak then I don't think it's an issue.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  5. #5
    I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    So I am playing the Bernie last night and I noticed that there is a noticeable difference in output between the neck and the bridge pups. So if I have just the bridge selected and get it where I like it and then switch to the neck, BOOM there is a big volume difference.
    Dane, I notice the same thing with the 53/10s I popped into my SCHB. I have the bridge pickup up pretty high, and the neck pickup pretty low to try to balance it out.

  6. #6
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    Hey Dane, I had this when I had the two Mule pups installed. I think I had the neck right down level with the ring and the bridge as high as I could get it before that caused issues in itself.

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Squid View Post
    Dane, I notice the same thing with the 53/10s I popped into my SCHB. I have the bridge pickup up pretty high, and the neck pickup pretty low to try to balance it out.
    Yeah fellas...that is what I am trying now.
    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •