Thread: Stoptail Bridges: Adjustable vs. Non-Adjustabe?

Stoptail Bridges: Adjustable vs. Non-Adjustabe?

Are there any tonal advantages/disadvantages to either type?
    Also, are the PRS piezo system bridges designed differently or is the piezo simply attached to the bottom of a standard adjustable PRS bridge?

(please excuse title typo)
    Last edited by LJD; 05-10-2013 at 06:43 PM.

I know that Paul doesn't like the adjustable, but my sub-human ears can't hear any difference.
    Sh*tter's full

I have all adjustable stoptails on my PRS. I love them for the ability to set intonation with varying tunings.

May not be nessessary, but I like that I can make the choice.

I was often curious about the difference in the bridges especially in regards to alternate or drop tunings.

When I spec'd my first PS I requested fixed bridge and a Drop C setup but did not mention which bridge. I wanted to see what they'd give me. It arrived with a non-adjustable bridge which I had hoped would be the case after debating for them as solid for drop tunings. It's stable. Plays great. In tune as much as any other guitar I own. Love it.

I have had zero issues with a non-adjustable stop tail. I was concerned the first time I bought one, now I enjoy having it. Drop tune a lot.

I don't hear a discernible difference in tone between the 2 really. I have adjustable on my drop C guitars, I'm using 11 14 18 36 52 60 string gauge there. If I'm in standard or drop D, I use a 10-52 set and can leave the regular stoptail on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I was often curious about the difference in the bridges especially in regards to alternate or drop tunings.

When I spec'd my first PS I requested fixed bridge and a Drop C setup but did not mention which bridge. I wanted to see what they'd give me. It arrived with a non-adjustable bridge which I had hoped would be the case after debating for them as solid for drop tunings. It's stable. Plays great. In tune as much as any other guitar I own. Love it.
    Interesting, what string gauge are you using in drop C?

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    I don't hear a discernible difference in tone between the 2 really. I have adjustable on my drop C guitars, I'm using 11 14 18 36 52 60 string gauge there. If I'm in standard or drop D, I use a 10-52 set and can leave the regular stoptail on.

Interesting, what string gauge are you using in drop C?
    Elixir NANOWEB 11-49.
    Plank Owner

Ah, I see how that could probably intonate just fine.

I've had mixed results trying to get a 245 scale to intonate in dropped d-flat with DGT 11s. Not sure if it was just me or the string gauge, scale length, etc. The A and D strings we just a tad off if you adjusted the bass side of the bridge for the D-flat on the low E. Not really noticeable with a lot of gain but just enough to bug me.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24