Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: PRS Guitars SE Custom 24 7-String video from Guitar World

  1. #1

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Member bretwomack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    144
    I just watched the Anderton's video. I really have been wondering if the 25" scale length for this guitar is going to be long enough for me. In their video, they discussed whether or not this length was an issue or not, and after thinking it would be a problem, they said that it would be fine if dropped tuned a little. But, if I got one, I would want to be able to go down a 1/2 step, drop A. I'm a PRS fanboy, and it would sting to have to look elsewhere for a 7 string.

    What do you guys think? Can anyone give their experience drop-tuning their PRS seven string?

  4. #4
    Senior Member themike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by bretwomack View Post
    I just watched the Anderton's video. I really have been wondering if the 25" scale length for this guitar is going to be long enough for me. In their video, they discussed whether or not this length was an issue or not, and after thinking it would be a problem, they said that it would be fine if dropped tuned a little. But, if I got one, I would want to be able to go down a 1/2 step, drop A. I'm a PRS fanboy, and it would sting to have to look elsewhere for a 7 string.

    What do you guys think? Can anyone give their experience drop-tuning their PRS seven string?
    Both of my PRS 7 strings are in Drop A and there is absolutely no issue what-so-ever with tension or clarity. As far as feel, its obviously personal preference but I don't notice any negative effects of the 25". It feels comfortable to me and anyone Ive let play it.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

  5. #5
    Member bretwomack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Both of my PRS 7 strings are in Drop A and there is absolutely no issue what-so-ever with tension or clarity. As far as feel, its obviously personal preference but I don't notice any negative effects of the 25". It feels comfortable to me and anyone Ive let play it.
    I was hoping you'd answer, haha. What do you think about Ab? What string gauges do you use?

  6. #6
    Senior Member themike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by bretwomack View Post
    I was hoping you'd answer, haha. What do you think about Ab? What string gauges do you use?
    I felt a disturbance in the force and came as fast as I could! haha I don't see it being a problem, and like I said, the scale isn't really whats going to cause an issue. I've worked with people who have done something stupid like drop G or E on a normal 6 string and it worked fine - you just have to make sure that the guitar is properly set up (bridge height, string guage and mojo). I've been using the stock guage on the SE7 and havent needed to go any bigger.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

  7. #7
    NJ Devil DISTORT6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    463
    I have my SE-7 tuned down Bb-Eb using a D'Addario 110-7 (.010-.059) set (same as it was shipped).
    I have no problems with this set-up. No flop.
    Ab? You might have to bump up the gauge on the 7th string.
    Not like the other kids...

  8. #8
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    I've worked with people who have done something stupid like drop G or E on a normal 6 string and it worked fine
    How else am I gonna play Nookie?
    Plank Owner

  9. #9
    I'm still debating if i should get a PRS or s Sterling JP by MusicMan, the Sterling is much cheaper and has a tremolo. Quality wise they are identical..... Been wanting a 7 string guitar for a long time!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •