Thread: Hollowbody or Singlecut Hollowbody? Need Some Help

Hollowbody or Singlecut Hollowbody? Need Some Help

I'm in need of a nice light weight guitar and of course I'm thinking about a PRS Hollowbody. Some years back I had a HB Spruce and loved it. Not sure why I moved it but it happens. I'm curious if there is much of a difference in tone between the current HBII and the SCHB. Obviously there will be a difference in feel due to the body shapes but are they otherwise similar in sound? Does one handle gain better?

I do not want a jazz guitar but I need a lighter weight because of a bad shoulder. Has anyone owned both? Thanks!

Used to have an archtop and have an SC HB standard. Love 'em both. A big factor is that the SC HB is fully hollow, where the HB has a center block. Other than those singing sustaining leads, I don't play much high gain, but I love how the SC HB feeds back and how easy it is to control. The HB would probably not feed back as easily, much like a 335.

No matter what you decide, get the piezo! It's a very pricy aftermarket add at the PTC, and I think with this style of guitar it 's well worth the initial outlay.

All that said, you should also check out the JA-15. I'm in love...again!

I have both with wide-fat and no center block construction. ( the center block on the current models are not like a 335 centerblock) The HBII may be a bit brighter than a SC-Hollowbody I due to the maple back. The SC- Hollowbody I has a slightly deeper sound acoustically because of the extra space in the upper bout. I also have a Hollowbody spruce, an arch top limited, and a JA-15 ( which is my favorite). The truth is I love them all. You can't go wrong with either choice. Here are some of the current pickups in each.

SC-HB McCarty SB uncovered Duncan 59 neck and pearly gates bridge
    SC-HB dark cherry SB Fralin Pure PAFs with 5% overwind
    Arch top limited stock
    Hollowbody II uncovered Duncan 59 neck and pearly gates bridge
    Hollowbody Spruce with 53/10 pickups

I have also had 245 pickups in both and a set of 57/08s in a HBII. They were all wonderful sounding.

Last edited by David Grantham; 05-14-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    DGT Secretary of Space

Wow! ^^ That's an impressive hollowbody lineup!

Quote Originally Posted by David Grantham View Post
    I have both with wide-fat and no center block construction. ( the center block on the current models are not like a 335 centerblock) The HBII may be a bit brighter than a SC-Hollowbody I due to the maple back. The SC- Hollowbody I has a slightly deeper sound acoustically because of the extra space in the upper bout. I also have a Hollowbody spruce, an arch top limited, and a JA-15 ( which is my favorite). The truth is I love them all. You can't go wrong with either choice. Here are some of the current pickups in each.

SC-HB McCarty SB uncovered Duncan 59 neck and pearly gates bridge
    SC-HB dark cherry SB Fralin Pure PAFs with 5% overwind
    Arch top limited stock
    Hollowbody II uncovered Duncan 59 neck and pearly gates bridge
    Hollowbody Spruce with 53/10 pickups

I have also had 245 pickups in both and a set of 57/08s in a HBII. They were all wonderful sounding.

Great collection of the good stuff.
    Plank Owner

When trying out HB II and SCHB II, I found the SCHB II to be a little deeper sounding as well. I'm gonna guess that the SCHB w/mahogany back is a bit darker and warmer sounding.

I concur with the above statements. The SCHB just sound a little more full to me.............
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    No matter what you decide, get the piezo! It's a very pricy aftermarket add at the PTC, and I think with this style of guitar it 's well worth the initial outlay.!
    It's standard now.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson