Thread: How do I ship this thing?

How do I ship this thing?

So I got my quote from the PTC for the repair to the finish on my #1, and I'm going to send her in. Only problem is, I don't have a box. Those of you who have shipped guitars to the PTC before, what have you used?

Do people generally prefer UPS or FedEx?

Is there any reason not to ship overnight?

Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Markie is right...

But let me explain on how EASY and PAINLESS Shawn will make this for you. Fiill out the contact sheet and email him. He will SEND YOU A BOX, with the packing you need AND a return shipping label READY TO GO!

Follow the directions:
    http://prsguitars.com/ptc/#shippingkit

DONE!

Oh and with the shipping rates PRS gets - I found it less expensive to do it this way, than to have shipped it there on my own.
    Last edited by Rango; 05-20-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: I CAN"T SPELL!!!! LOL!!!
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

I already went to the ptc website and filled out the form and got a quote. I didn't know about the shipping kit, though, that's awesome... I will probably go that route. Thanks, you guys!

I'd just go to a local guitar store and buy/beg a used box.

There are MANY in your area.
    One Life

We can do a shipping kit if you like. Just let me know and I can get it heading your way

Go to a Guitar Center, find where they throw out their cardboard. I usually have no trouble scoring a perfect guitar box by dumpster diving at a GC!
    '94 McCarty
    '02 R8 Les Paul
    '85 Jackson Soloist
    '09 Charvel USA San Dimas

True, boxes are easy to find, but...

If you are far enough away, like me on the west coast - IT IS ACTUALLY CHEAPER to let Shawn ship you a kit. I ran the numbers and for me to ship that guitar one way to Stevensville was $99.73. ( I plugged in the box demensions and estimated the weight at 26 pounds.) - The kit with the return label to get the guitar back to the PTC was $85. AND I didn't have to go dumpster diving!
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

amps are even worse. I did some estimates on the major shipping sites... it would cost me the same to ship an empty amp box (1x12 combo) as it would to ship it with an amp in it... $200 just based on the box dimensions... was no more once I added in the weight of the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    As easy as it gets.
    Plank Owner

Lucky I live on the East coast - so when I send my guitar to the PTC, it will cost way less than $85 (with free dumpster box)!
    '94 McCarty
    '02 R8 Les Paul
    '85 Jackson Soloist
    '09 Charvel USA San Dimas

I went with the shipping kit from Shawn...made it simple and the guitar got to factory VERY fast!! Shawn sent it back even faster!!! THE PTC RULES!!!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

I went with the shipping kit. I'm in Texas, so it's probably cheaper this way, but the main benefit is having PRS-approved packaging so there's no question about whether it's being properly handled. This is a really smart thing for the PTC to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    amps are even worse. I did some estimates on the major shipping sites... it would cost me the same to ship an empty amp box (1x12 combo) as it would to ship it with an amp in it... $200 just based on the box dimensions... was no more once I added in the weight of the amp.
    tell me about it. I had to send a large bass amp back to carvin in california from cleveland, i'm still making payments on it!

Quote Originally Posted by helmi View Post
    tell me about it. I had to send a large bass amp back to carvin in california from cleveland, i'm still making payments on it!
    OUCH!

I go to my local acoustic guitar shop to get boxes. I usually get Taylor boxes with plastic guards on either end. The guys at the shop don't charge me anything for it, but I give them $5 bucks anyways. I tried GC and they wouldn't give me anything.

ULine sells guitar boxes. I bought a 5 pack, shipped to my door for like $40-$45. They are a bit oversized, but can easily be cut down in length...

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...FdJ9Ogod9FUAGA

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    ULine sells guitar boxes. I bought a 5 pack, shipped to my door for like $40-$45. They are a bit oversized, but can easily be cut down in length...

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...FdJ9Ogod9FUAGA

Jamie
    This is what I do... And they have different sizes, too... bass/acoustic sized boxes, as well as standard! (so I buy each, just in case!)

She's off! I received the shipping kit last week but because I was busy interviewing for a new job I wasn't able to get her shipped out until today. She should be at the PTC by the end of the week (I hope).

Thanks for the head up on the shipping kit, guys. Definitely made things easier.