Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOMM Trailer

SOMM Trailer

A friend shared this on facebook and I thought some of you (Sergio) may enjoy seeing it.

nice... but I have to be honest, I know shitZu about wine, only thing I know is when I like and when I don't like it and that's pretty much all I need. But I admire and respect the ones who goes deeper on that journey.

Totally checking this out!
    Have you seen the documentary about the french pastry competition? It's way entertaining.

^^^One reviewer called it "The Culinary Hurt Locker". That may be the best review of a movie ever! I must see this now.

Quote Originally Posted by aduayer View Post
    nice... but I have to be honest, I know shitZu about wine, only thing I know is when I like and when I don't like it and that's pretty much all I need. But I admire and respect the ones who goes deeper on that journey.
    You're like a sommelier with guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Didn't MA Pete say he'd uh..."sampled" like 50 PRSes in 4 years?

Talk about sommeliers...that's a LOT of tone tasting and cork sniffing right there.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I know ive said this before on BaM but... I was once asked by a friend if I wanted to go take classes to become a sommelier. I said no. The way I saw it, all it would do is make it more expensive to get loaded with my friends. As it stands, it's hard for me to find a wine I can drink under $20 a bottle.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I know ive said this before on BaM but... I was once asked by a friend if I wanted to go take classes to become a sommelier. I said no. The way I saw it, all it would do is make it more expensive to get loaded with my friends. As it stands, it's hard for me to find a wine I can drink under $20 a bottle.
    words of wisdom... if I knew this when I started with the guitars, I could've save a lot...LOL

can you smell the brazilian rosewood? how about the color of that cocobolo? look at this quilted top with the dragon's breath finish!!! yeah, I know what you mean.

As it stands, it's hard for me to find a wine I can drink under $20 a bottle.
    I've been blown away by some $4.00 wines and disappointed in $80 bottles, I'm much more reckless about spending money on champagne and sparkling wines. All that being said... I've never met a glass of wine I wouldn't drink.

I've never really gotten into wines. I dig scotch though.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I've never really gotten into wines. I dig scotch though.
    That's because you have to do it with food.

I had a very manageable drinking problem until I dated an italian girl.

I go in phases. I’ll drink wine for a while, then beer, then vodka, etc. Currently I’m in a wine phase. I’m certainly no connoisseur, but I do enjoy a nice glass of Malbec from time to time.

Being where I am I'm kind of surrounded by the stuff! Bordeaux is less than 60 miles away and we are literally surrounded by plum orchards, sunflowers and most importantly grape vines. We are at the heart of armagnac country (most of the production is within 20 miles and the Janneau factory is 5 miles away in our nearest town). Certainly no expert but if it's red and aged in oak it's going to be fairly tasty.
    I tend to go with a cold beer when cooking, nice glass of the grapey stuff when eating and an armagnac to round it all off.
    Last edited by RichardJ; 05-17-2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: forgot how to write properly!

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I've been blown away by some $4.00 wines and disappointed in $80 bottles, I'm much more reckless about spending money on champagne and sparkling wines. All that being said... I've never met a glass of wine I wouldn't drink.
    It's mostly in your head, Hans. I'm generally the opposite in that I don't like to pay more than $20 because there are so many good values out there. Plus, I could get a 12 pack of great beer for that price (always frugal--that's me). My wife and I do like to head up to North Georgia wine country about once a year to support our regional growers/vintners. They're still great values though; around $15-$30.

I think that like a lot of things, there's a diminishing return as the price goes higher.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    I tend to go with a cold beer when cooking, nice glass of the grapey stuff when eating and an armagnac to round it all off.
    That's almost exactly how I handle my days as well!

I go in phases. I’ll drink wine for a while, then beer, then vodka, etc. Currently I’m in a wine phase. I’m certainly no connoisseur, but I do enjoy a nice glass of Malbec from time to time.
    No connoisseur either, but I know Argentina have some very good Malbecs with a very good price. One of my favorites is Carmenere from Chile.

Quote Originally Posted by aduayer View Post
    No connoisseur either, but I know Argentina have some very good Malbecs with a very good price. One of my favorites is Carmenere from Chile.
    Cool, I'll check it out. Anyone else have some recommendations for a solid wine (that isn't to expensive)?

Here are few Reds...

I have fallen in love with Tempranillo's in recent days. Typically very decently priced given the quality of wine you get-

Volver Single Vineyard 2010

Rancho Viejo Cosecha 2009

I also like Valpolicella...can be on the pricier side-

Corvina, Valpolicella Classico, Le Ragose, Italy 2008

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 05-18-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    -Bob

Sounds dreamy an delicious !
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    Being where I am I'm kind of surrounded by the stuff! Bordeaux is less than 60 miles away and we are literally surrounded by plum orchards, sunflowers and most importantly grape vines. We are at the heart of armagnac country (most of the production is within 20 miles and the Janneau factory is 5 miles away in our nearest town). Certainly no expert but if it's red and aged in oak it's going to be fairly tasty.