Thread: McCarty Tuners

McCarty Tuners

on my 2007 McCarty Korina, it has the "vintage style" tuners, which seem great, but I have a question regarding the care and maintenance of said tuners..

is it necessary to oil these tuners?

in other guitars I've owned with this type of tuner..I've replaced the tuner before any such maintenance would be required, but I haven't yet found a replacement that would fit my maccarty -- does anybody have any suggestions? I'd love a set of PRS lockers...
    2007 McCarty Korina - Brazilian Rosewood

There are small holes for grease (not oil), but I've never greased my tuners, so I'm not sure. If they are working and holding tune, leave em alone!

Also, locking tuners are not a drop in replacement - different screw down bushings, different holes in the back of the headstock. I would leave the McCarty tuners on there.
    '94 McCarty
    '02 R8 Les Paul
    '85 Jackson Soloist
    '09 Charvel USA San Dimas

Quote Originally Posted by ScottFFitch View Post
    on my 2007 McCarty Korina, it has the "vintage style" tuners, which seem great, but I have a question regarding the care and maintenance of said tuners..

is it necessary to oil these tuners?

in other guitars I've owned with this type of tuner..I've replaced the tuner before any such maintenance would be required, but I haven't yet found a replacement that would fit my maccarty -- does anybody have any suggestions? I'd love a set of PRS lockers...
    me, you, and the other gazillion people who own mccarty's would love a locking tuner drop in replacement also !!!!!!! mr. smith would make a TON of loyal users completely overjoyed by granting that request.
    by the way, i also have a mccarty korina. best guitar i've ever owned!
    Last edited by helmi; 05-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.

There is another current thread showing how to make vintage tuners like locking tuners just by the way you set the wire. With that you don't need to replace the tuners ... ever. I don't add grease and I've never had one wear out. Even on my 58 Martin.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

http://www.wdmusic.com/gotoh_kluson_..._3_nickel.html

They work great. I found mine about $20 cheaper somewhere online.

I have a set if the Gotoh Kluson locking tuners, bought them for my LP. I never liked how you have to lock them with a coin, so I took them off. Bet they are a drop in though.
    '94 McCarty
    '02 R8 Les Paul
    '85 Jackson Soloist
    '09 Charvel USA San Dimas

With a closed back tuner, Once there is grease in there it's not going anywhere, so you should never have to put more grease in. If you put new/more grease in the old grease has to come out somehow. Again should NEVER have to add grease.
    2012 SE Custom 24

Quote Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    I have a set if the Gotoh Kluson locking tuners, bought them for my LP. I never liked how you have to lock them with a coin, so I took them off. Bet they are a drop in though.
    These Gotoh I linked self lock. No coin, no nuthin'. Just pull the string through, keep it taut, and start tuning up....they lock automatically. They work quite well, very smooth, no slip.