Given some of the problems some of our brothers and sisters here have gone through and are going through, I hate to do this, but I could use a little outside perspective.
I've been at my current company for about 15 years. For the last 10, I've worked pretty much on one app (and for the last 8 years, just that app). Due to organizational shuffles, I've been moved to different teams a couple times, which I haven't always handled well personally (professionally, it's been fine). Another shuffle was forced on me about 18 months ago, which I wasn't happy about because I liked my team. I decided to handle it differently this time and take more control of the situation, so I've been exploring other options, primarily with the idea that I would decide whether I would stay in my current situation or not.
Last week I had another interview. I thought it went fairly well - not spectacular, but I didn't chump it, either. They told me there were other people to talk to, then some would be put in contact with the next level of management. They called the next day to contact the next level, and at the beginning of the week, they told me they'd like to make an offer. Which was way faster than I expected - I hadn't even started to think of my follow-up questions.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both staying and going (it's an internal move). It's a lateral move, so no raise. It's a new group for me, and new experience, but it also seems a bit proprietary. Less wide-ranging in the role (for 7 of the last 8 years, I have been the team - analysis, design, coding, the works). But it seems like a decent group to work for, I won't lose my work at home, and they seem fairly flexible. Hard to see what the future opportunities would be, though.
On the other hand, if I stay, a lot of the same stuff applies, but I'm also working on the same app, and sometimes I feel like I'm solving some of the same problems over and over. The tech side (which is the team I got moved to 18 months ago) seems to appreciate me; the business side not as much (my feelings, not something that was ever said). And if I stay, I can keep searching - no time commitment because of how long I've been in the role. So I can wait for a 'better' opportunity. The hard part is trying to determine if that opportunity would ever come. At this point in the process, my manager had to be notified, and he basically said he'd like me to stay because it's a lateral move, not a step up.
This is driving me nuts - it's happening way faster than I expected.