Thread: Acid Jazz

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar

Acid Jazz

Where did it go? I just heard this track - which brought back some great memories. Speaking as a bass player, this music like this is as good as disco or funk.

Click THIS for audible bliss.
    One Life

Ah yes, the time when jazz and hip hop had a saucy affair... M.C.'s mingled with horn players, I was in my twenty's and it was easy to impress young girls by hanging out with "old" guys carrying a saxaphone case and Dennis Rodman.

According to Wikipedia I guested on and album, and even got a Champagne Brothers shout out from one of the defining bands of the genre: Liquid Soul. (don't know if I would really agree with that..) Peep this cut, I come in at about 1:00 singing "Champagne Fizzy" and " Go ahead Baby".

Technically it's my first and only Grammy nod... We came in second.

I knew I could count on you to be the only person on this board interested in this thread.

Thanks for sharing the tune. Makes me wanna play some Brooklyn Funk Essentials.

Did you ever het into bands like Psychedelic Zombies, Zuba, Boogie Shoes, Salmon, or one of my all-time favorites... G. Love & Special Sauce?

Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 05-26-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    One Life

Are you being serious about Boogie Shoes? I was the bass player in that band for like five years in the mid nineties!!!!

Wait a second... Colorasta springs.... Hansomatic.... perhaps we have already met.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Are you being serious about Boogie Shoes? I was the bass player in that band for like five years in the mid nineties!!!!

Wait a second... Colorasta springs.... Hansomatic.... perhaps we have already met.
    N. FREAKING. WAY.

I have Greatest Hits, Vol 1. And It's On my fave of that CD. Loop-De-Loop is a close second. Trying to recall when/where I saw you guys.

Such a small world.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Such a small world.
    Crazy small.. Yeah, that would've been the time period... between "Greatest Hits" and "Bust it, Bust it, Bust it". I can get you autographed copies if you like

Awesome, both you guys!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

How cool is that?!
    Plank Owner

Haha that's awesome Hans and Sergio!

Even Australia had their own acid jazz band, Directions in Groove (DIG for short). I loved them all through my teen years, they even came to my town to play but I was too young to go and see them. Then they broke up and I was devastated I never got to see them live... Fast forward a dozen years or so, I'm on a work trip to Perth, one of our suppliers has taken us to see a concert which was pretty awesome. I then noticed that DIG were playing the very next night at the same place, I tried to get a ticket there and then but they were only available over the phone. First thing next morning I rang up for scored the very last 2 tickets, I was stoked! DIG were awesome but the vibe wasn't there, no one was dancing! Me and a random dude (who obviously shared my love for DIG) got up and ran around firing everyone up, by the end of the set there were no bums in seats and DIG really turned the funk on.

The night just got crazier from then, including stuff I won't mention on a public forum, and also seeing one of the most amazing drum and bass combinations ever in the follow up band (it was a trio, but it was all about those guys!).

Not much DIG on youTube, the best stuff is "Live at the Basement", which only came out as a limited edition extra disc on one of their albums.

Here's those dudes I saw afterwards (the drummer went on to tour with... The Sugababes...). Fast forward to 3:40 for some craziness!

Cool synchronicity, Hans & Sergio. Way cool to see something like that happen.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Rare little Docu about the UK Acid Jazz scene with Gilles Peterson, Brand New Heavies, etc...

If the vid doesn't work for any reason it can be found here:

http://vimeo.com/27940835
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Wow...that was kind of freaky the way that just happened....freaky cool....
    - Dane

He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.

Did someone say 'Brand New Heavies'? I'm chilling out already!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    Did someone say 'Brand New Heavies'? I'm chilling out already!

First song I think of.... I loved the "Heavies".

I tried Acid once....................... Wasn't any fun whatsoever.................... It really sucked!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I tried Acid once....................... Wasn't any fun whatsoever.................... It really sucked!
    I tried jazz once................and I'm still trippin'!

oh yeah, rare to find some acid jazz lovers i moved to london in 89 and was already listening to a lot of rare groove and jazzy funky stuff before ... was so great to finally have music on the dancefloor i liked ... the two best live gigs i remember from that time was galliano and the james taylor quartet ... best thing about AJ was that the girls suddenly liked instrumental 'musicians music' and didn't mind all the solos

got a bit stale and commercial in the end ... but most of it has aged well and still makes me dance... loved stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWc5uyYJ6I8
    Last edited by stickman; 06-09-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    my guitar picks
    my soundcloud

guitars: Yamah SA800 / Ibanez Artfield AFD45 / Fender Jazz Bass
    guitars i wish i hadn't sold: PRS 5708 Ltd N240

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Stickman!

Good taste in music BTW!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues